Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: arge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 41 years old and don't have any children. Two months ago, I was diagnosed with having a uterine fibroid. I suffered prolonged bleeding or spotting, but no pain or any other symptoms. My OB/GYN told me to have hysterectomy as the only solution, but I refused since my myomas are very small (less than 1 mm). My doctor did not prescribed drug to dissolve the fibroid, so I treated it myself. I take a non-synthetic drug such as MX3, Malunggay capsules, and Banaba and Intra Juice. My spotting slowly disappears and my menstruation lasts only for a week, fully. But when I have sex with my husband it bleeds again. So I'm a little bit confused now.

Comment from: Roseofsharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 40 years old, and I have been dealing with uterine fibroids imbedded in the wall of my uterus for almost four to five years. These last two years, I have felt as if the first two days of my cycle that I am living in hell. I get hot and the pain is so severe that I can do nothing but lie in bed and go from hot to cold. I pass clots so bad that I have to breathe as if I am in labor at times just to pass them. I am looking for a specialist who can remove the fibroids without me having a full hysterectomy.

Comment from: penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was told I have uterine fibroids and cysts. I am having pain in my left side near my pelvic area and was told by my doctor's nurse they don't cause pain. When I sit, I feel as if I am sitting on something and pain in my lower left side and the middle of my stomach.

Comment from: faithalways, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I am scheduled to have surgery to remove the uterine fibroids that are about 6 inches and causing tiredness, bloating, and controlling my life on a daily basis. First, it started as heavy bleeding and clots. I ignored the signs because I was using birth control for most of my adulthood. I finally stopped taking the pills and thought this is what a period would be like when you are not on the pills -- heavy bleeding and clots. However, a friend at work encouraged me to have pelvic ultrasound because she had the same problems. We need to trust our signs. My doctor was recommending taking the pills again or a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Lucy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 50-year-old black female. I have had female problems all my adult life. I have had uterine fibroids probably for more than five years, but they were diagnosed in 2004. My largest one is 12 cc. I have never been able to have children, and now I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy, and I don't really want to have one because I think I can live with my fibroids. I do not suffer from any pain. My only symptoms are: feeling of being bloated, constant urination, huge stomach, and pressure on my bladder.

Comment from: tired-one, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have at least four golf ball-sized uterine fibroids. When they told me the results and options, they did not mention the UFE procedure. I brought it up to them and they said yes that also is an option and will set me up with someone else to counsel me for that procedure. Why don't they let you know this option? I hate these fibroids! They really interfere with life. I feel awful all the time. I have heaviness in my lower stomach, and it hurts. I'm very anemic. I can't exercise so I'm gaining weight. I hope this UFE works.

Comment from: conquerer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 42 and was diagnosed with uterine fibroids three years ago. I have been struggling with them longer because when my doctor found them, my blood level was so low that she told me she could not operate. I was so anemic that I was eating ice and could not stop. She suggested a hysterectomy, but I could not bring myself to do that. Yesterday, I had laparoscopic uterine artery occlusion. I pray this helps all my symptoms and shrinks the fibroid. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for a procedure that doesn't have us butcher our bodies.

Comment from: Some one who knows, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I recently had a uterine fibroid embolization for treatment to shrink my huge fibroid tumor. I woke up on the operating table having a heart attack. I have never had heart trouble. I am very healthy still. I would not recommend this surgery to anyone EVER!

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?