Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 45 years old. Since I was 30, I had 3 abdominal laparotomies to extract multiple fibroids. Now my uterus is 16 cm, with multiple fibroids again with the biggest one 9cm in size. I never had children and it hurts to think of losing my uterus.

Comment from: CarrieK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 36 years old. I have had horrible periods since I was 11. I hurt and ache in my stomach, back and legs. I bleed heavily and have horrible clots. I have seen a doctor who finally diagnosed me, I have uterine fibroids. I am having a hysterectomy very soon. Hopefully I will feel better.

Comment from: Ul1964, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a da Vinci robotic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago as a result of multiple fibroids causing severe periods, anemia and back pain. My surgery was nearly 6 hours long due to the size of my uterus. I kept my ovaries but the surgeon removed my uterus, fallopian tubes and cervix. The recovery has not been too bad. The first few days required pain killers but after about a week I have only been taking Motrin. The worst part now is the general weakness and tiredness I have and lower abdominal ache. I'm hoping to go back to work within the next few days. I researched all available procedures before undergoing the robotic hysterectomy which was my best option. So far so good.

Comment from: momof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I've been diagnosed with fibroids in my uterus since 2008. My doctor didn't shrink them nor did I have surgery and now it has grown larger. I'm experiencing regular symptoms however, I also have a mass that is noticeable. It also hurts when touched or when my bladder is full. Up to now I've had menstrual flow monthly, however, this month I haven't had, it so I'm now 6 days late.

Comment from: leggylauren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I've been in menopause since 2004 but after a CT, Ultrasound and pelvic MRI, it was determined in 2012 that I had uterine fibroids. I am an African/Native American female. After a year of abnormal vaginal bleeding off and on and severe cramping I had a D&C in 2013. Three weeks later, I am still bleeding and passing clots and will ask my gynecologist for a partial hysterectomy. I should not be having any vaginal bleeding and the D&C did not work for me.

Comment from: Chelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 45 and I was diagnosed with fibroids in Feb 2013. I had already had bleeding for 7 days every other week. I didn't know what it was. I only went to the doctor because of the pain I had been having but because I am uninsured I can't seem to find any help. It is so hard for me to work now but I do my best. I have been told that I need surgery because there are over 10 fibroids and my uterus is large.

Comment from: bleazn69, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have fibroid of 5 cm size on the outside of uterus. The only way to remove it is by a hysterectomy. My gynecologist won't remove it because it's not large enough. I take ketorolac for the pains. I am currently trying an IUD to reduce my period.

Comment from: Team Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have fibroids but I have had an IUD in place now for 6 years. I have now learned that having the ParaGard IUD would cause your periods to be a bit more aggressive which feeds more blood to your fibroids. I now need to have the fibroids removed due to increased size and pain. I was told to have the IUD removed and go on birth control pills to regulate and slow the monthly cycle bleeding which would stop feeding the fibroids and they may decrease as I go through menopause. But there is a problem. The fibroids have wrapped around the IUD and I must be put asleep to have it taken out.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?