Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: jetlei04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 27 years old and I am also black American. I recently have been diagnosed with having five myometrium fibroid tumors. I went nearly three months without a bowel movement and my doctors did not believe me. I ended up having a colonoscopy and that showed that I had a mass, so they did a lower endoscopic ultrasound of my colon and that showed a huge mass which they biopsied in 26 places, and also called in a gynecologic oncologist to take a look at what they thought was a huge benign mass, during what was supposed to be a 45 minute procedure that turned into a 6 hour ordeal and I was still unconscious, and it turned out to be a huge cyst extending from my ovary that ruptured laying 15cm/7 inches of fluid on my colon clamping it completely shut. I have been diagnosed with 5 fibroid tumors.

Comment from: Niecee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I am a 40-year-old female with very painful periods every month due to uterine fibroids. I have very heavy bleeding and severe pain. The doctors want to remove them, but I am a diabetic. The last time they wanted to do a biopsy, I had a very high blood sugar reading and a high blood pressure reading, so now I am suffering. I've tried everything to ease the pain and the only thing that works is Lortab.

Comment from: Ellen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

When I had uterine fibroids, I had a feeling of heaviness in the tummy and a feeling of constant pain. My hip bone feels as if it has been displaced because my fibroid is so large. I feel as if I am carrying a really heavy weight around with me all the time. Clothes start to look and feel uncomfortable and the periods are long and heavy! I also suffer with Graves disease, so I never know whether I am coming or going! One stops the periods all together and the other give me heavy periods! I suffer on both levels. I get hot flushes, night sweats, muscle pain, anxiousness, shortness of breath, insomnia, tremors, rashes, dizziness, headaches, and blurred vision. Is this fun or what?

Comment from: marlene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have fibroids outside my womb. I used to have heavy periods, now I don't have periods, it's one month now.

Comment from: LCM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am due to have laparoscopic operation to reduce or remove fibroids with a specialist doctor who is keen to preserve the uterus, in a couple of days' time. This option feels right for me and I still dream of having a child.

Comment from: Jillybean470, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a very healthy 48 year old. I was told at my yearly PAP screening that I have a mass in my uterus the size of an apple. I have no symptoms at all. I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled in 2 days. I am kind of scared.

Comment from: sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am 52 years old and I had a U.F.E. (uterine fibroid embolization) in 2007 but I have started back bleeding again. I am unsure if I can have the procedure again or I can't.

Comment from: Suze, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a 43 year old mother of a 6 year old who was conceived while I was on the pill. I have been taking the same pill for about 8 years, but recently I have been having surprise periods between my regular, scheduled, periods. I also have been having severe pain and bulging stomach intermittently. So I had a pelvic ultrasound and I guess I have a large fist sized fibroid on my uterus. My doctor just wants to try a different pill and check back in a year. My great aunt died of ovarian cancer, my grandmother and mother both died of breast cancer relatively young and my sister has had breast cancer 2x despite having a double mastectomy after the first time and I had per cancerous changes in my breast at 29 yrs. Am I foolish to be a tad concerned about waiting that long to see if it grows or changes?

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?