Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: MsShon75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I discovered that I had two fibroid tumors in March 2012 during a visit to my OB/Gyn. Since the discovery, I have experienced intense pain. Pain medications do not seem to help at all. I have tried ibuprofen, prescription pain pills prescribed by my doctor, Tylenol, and nothing seems to ease the pain. During my cycles, I have to use a tampon and a sanitary napkin at the same time because the bleeding is so heavy. I am always fatigued, and I lose a lot of sleep because I am in pain all of the time. I don't know what else to do. I am just sick of the pain.

Comment from: chrssymc49, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have been taking low dose hormone therapy for about 15 years. I'm now 65 years old and have a large fibroid. It does not really bother me except for occasional spotting. Doctor says I should go off hormones. I started not taking them and am now having hot flashes and mood swings. It is really driving me nuts.

Comment from: bredeee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am currently 20 years old. I have been recently diagnosed with a uterine fibroid that grows on the outside wall of my uterus. I know this usually doesn't happen with girls my age. I was wondering if this is going to hinder my ability to give my spouse and me a baby. It is four inches big and I'm really concerned about this.

Comment from: Yang Ly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 23 years old. I've been diagnosed with fibroids a couple weeks ago. I've been devastated. My symptoms are heavy bleeding and slight cramps which are bearable. I still want babies because I only have 1 daughter. I've also had a miscarriage. I'm now thinking maybe the fibroids took a toll on my 2nd pregnancy. Ugh, I'm only 23! I really didn't have this in store. Fibroids are causing me to not go to work because my bleeding is so severe. I have to change my pad every hour, if not less. I've been diagnosed for only a couple weeks and it's making me so crazy because I'm over thinking about the possibilities. I'm in need of some advice and motivation.

Comment from: tired of the bleedin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had my periods since January. In April I had to receive a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood. I have uterine fibroids. The bleeding stopped for two weeks and I am bleeding again, I was given birth control pills to help stop it but it slowed it down a little. I don't know what else to do, what I should ask my obstetrician/gynecologist as far as treatment.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 16

I am a 60 year old lady and I'm having lower back pains and headaches frequently. I also experience a sticking pain around the area of my left breast that sometimes lasts very long, I was told by the doctor that I have small fibroids and spot sometimes. I am also diagnosed with gouty arthritis. I am very worried and would like to know why the headaches especially.

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 3 fibroids and my general physician says they are too small to be removed and will not refer me to a gynecologist. They are 3mm. I have heavy periods which he has given me tablets for, excruciating lower back pain and old blood after my period. I wonder if the fibroids are causing this.

Comment from: VLeake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 56 year old with uterine fibroids. I don't know how many but the last time I was at the doctor's they said it was the size of a 12 months pregnancy. Now my stomach is so large and also now I have a smaller pouch just below my C section I had in 84. In size it feels like medium size tennis balls; I have to lift my stomach up to sit down. I am a diabetic as well with other medical troubles but I want these out. My back hurts because they are so large it pushes on my back, but one thing I don't understand is how it makes your stomach so large.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?