Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Yang Ly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 23 years old. I've been diagnosed with fibroids a couple weeks ago. I've been devastated. My symptoms are heavy bleeding and slight cramps which are bearable. I still want babies because I only have 1 daughter. I've also had a miscarriage. I'm now thinking maybe the fibroids took a toll on my 2nd pregnancy. Ugh, I'm only 23! I really didn't have this in store. Fibroids are causing me to not go to work because my bleeding is so severe. I have to change my pad every hour, if not less. I've been diagnosed for only a couple weeks and it's making me so crazy because I'm over thinking about the possibilities. I'm in need of some advice and motivation.

Comment from: tired of the bleedin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had my periods since January. In April I had to receive a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood. I have uterine fibroids. The bleeding stopped for two weeks and I am bleeding again, I was given birth control pills to help stop it but it slowed it down a little. I don't know what else to do, what I should ask my obstetrician/gynecologist as far as treatment.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 16

I am a 60 year old lady and I'm having lower back pains and headaches frequently. I also experience a sticking pain around the area of my left breast that sometimes lasts very long, I was told by the doctor that I have small fibroids and spot sometimes. I am also diagnosed with gouty arthritis. I am very worried and would like to know why the headaches especially.

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 3 fibroids and my general physician says they are too small to be removed and will not refer me to a gynecologist. They are 3mm. I have heavy periods which he has given me tablets for, excruciating lower back pain and old blood after my period. I wonder if the fibroids are causing this.

Comment from: VLeake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 56 year old with uterine fibroids. I don't know how many but the last time I was at the doctor's they said it was the size of a 12 months pregnancy. Now my stomach is so large and also now I have a smaller pouch just below my C section I had in 84. In size it feels like medium size tennis balls; I have to lift my stomach up to sit down. I am a diabetic as well with other medical troubles but I want these out. My back hurts because they are so large it pushes on my back, but one thing I don't understand is how it makes your stomach so large.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 45 this year. I have huge uterine fibroids, but I have controlled the bleeding with something natural called Dim-plus. In my area they have a treatment called Acessa. It is where they use focused laser inserted into the fibroids and melt at least 50% or more. I have been waiting for something like this, because I have one day of heavy bleeding, but pressure more than I would like and I look pregnant. My consultation is on 4/15/14. I would advise anyone to look into this, if you want to keep your uterus.

Comment from: sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

With uterine fibroids I wonder if anyone experiences chronic lower back pain and pelvic pain. It feels like pulling or a lot of pressure.

Comment from: Sofie77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 29 year old, slim and otherwise healthy, with 4 fibroids, 3 posterior, one anterior. One of them is as large as 11cm in diameter and I am told I will not be able to bear children with it on my uterus. I am very distressed to hear this news, but if anyone can speak about their experiences about removing the cyst/fibroid and not the entire uterus, it would be appreciated. I did not want to have children till 33-34, and I just want to know if that will be possible anymore.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?