Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: momof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I've been diagnosed with fibroids in my uterus since 2008. My doctor didn't shrink them nor did I have surgery and now it has grown larger. I'm experiencing regular symptoms however, I also have a mass that is noticeable. It also hurts when touched or when my bladder is full. Up to now I've had menstrual flow monthly, however, this month I haven't had, it so I'm now 6 days late.

Comment from: leggylauren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I've been in menopause since 2004 but after a CT, Ultrasound and pelvic MRI, it was determined in 2012 that I had uterine fibroids. I am an African/Native American female. After a year of abnormal vaginal bleeding off and on and severe cramping I had a D&C in 2013. Three weeks later, I am still bleeding and passing clots and will ask my gynecologist for a partial hysterectomy. I should not be having any vaginal bleeding and the D&C did not work for me.

Comment from: Chelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 45 and I was diagnosed with fibroids in Feb 2013. I had already had bleeding for 7 days every other week. I didn't know what it was. I only went to the doctor because of the pain I had been having but because I am uninsured I can't seem to find any help. It is so hard for me to work now but I do my best. I have been told that I need surgery because there are over 10 fibroids and my uterus is large.

Comment from: bleazn69, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have fibroid of 5 cm size on the outside of uterus. The only way to remove it is by a hysterectomy. My gynecologist won't remove it because it's not large enough. I take ketorolac for the pains. I am currently trying an IUD to reduce my period.

Comment from: Bodyaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

At age 45 I started perimenopause that included severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS). I kept getting pain in my right side next to my hipbone and pelvic pain. After testing when I was about 48, it was discovered I had multiple fibroids. The largest being 3cm. I'm now 52 and for years have dealt with heavy bleeding, severe PMS and pain. I found a gynecologist who would give me a hysterectomy last December. I decided to wait because of my job and I'm glad I did in some ways because I'm not bleeding any longer and the pain in my right side is no longer there. I still cycle with terrible fatigue and mood changes but I feel much more stable than I did a few years ago.

Comment from: Team Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have fibroids but I have had an IUD in place now for 6 years. I have now learned that having the ParaGard IUD would cause your periods to be a bit more aggressive which feeds more blood to your fibroids. I now need to have the fibroids removed due to increased size and pain. I was told to have the IUD removed and go on birth control pills to regulate and slow the monthly cycle bleeding which would stop feeding the fibroids and they may decrease as I go through menopause. But there is a problem. The fibroids have wrapped around the IUD and I must be put asleep to have it taken out.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I suffer for a minimum of two weeks per month with abdominal pain in my uterus. I also get severe lower back pain and have issues with my bowels and frequent urination during this time. This usually begins 3-5 days before I begin my period and then the pain subsides and I have a very heavy period with lots of bleeding and clots. Once my period ends I continue to have abdominal pain for another 4-5 days. Does this sound normal? My doctor said if I wait till menopause that it will all go away. I am 46 years old and each month I consider if waiting is worth it or if I should pursue a hysterectomy.

Comment from: helmish15, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Three years ago, I had a hysterectomy because of fibroids. My symptoms were severe: very heavy bleeding, and large blood clots. In the past, I told my doctor, but she took a wait-and-see attitude. Finally, the pain was so severe that I changed doctors and changed my life literally. When I had the tests run, he discovered more than 20 fibroids of all shapes and sizes. I had severe endometriosis cysts and vey early stages of cancer. I am very happy today; my doctor saved me.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?