Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Deedums, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with UF (uterine fibroids) at 47 years of age. I was experiencing very heavy bleeding, abdominal cramping during my periods for about two years. I had to take the day off of work if my first day of my period landed on a weekday. I was anemic and my gynecologist suggested endometrial ablation to stop the bleeding/anemia. It's been two years and the pain and bleeding are minimal. The UF is still there (7 cm) and now I have pressure on my bladder/abdominal area. If it has grown in these two years, I will opt for hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in place. The drug side effects are worrisome.

Comment from: relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 52 years old and the past few months I have had horrific periods due to fibroids. My periods were so bad I was afraid to leave the house. Recently I underwent the outpatient procedure, uterine fibroid embolization to relieve the heavy bleeding. I have not had a period since this procedure so I can't say what difference it has made. I was told it would have an effect on my cycle delaying my period and because of my age it might push me into menopause. Either way I'm relieved because this procedure will either reduce my period or end it all together and for me that's great news considering what I have been through.

Comment from: Steg1351, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 33, about 8 months ago I was having a lot fluttering and dull aches and pain. I wanted to make sure that I did not have a tubal pregnancy. I had a normal PAP and they had to do an ultrasound and found a fibroid. Soon after, I had a biopsy to confirm that it was non-cancerous. I have every symptom in the book that my fibroids is growing too large. If I want my life back I got to have a hysterectomy. It is literally sucking the life out of me. Often times I feel week, fatigue, abdominal pain, constipation, painful intercourse, dizziness, frequent urination, headaches, back aches and every day I feel sick. More so due to making me anemic because of it sucking the blood out of me. I put off having a hysterectomy but, I can't keep living like this.

Comment from: ML3girls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had vaginal bleeding since Aug 17 so it has been approximately 3 months of daily bleeding. Last month I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids and polycystic ovary. The doctor put me on birth control pills in early October. My pack finished on Thursday. On Saturday morning I had severe pain; it felt like something had dropped and was obstructing the vaginal canal. I had to go to the hospital (it felt like I was in labor). I was given two doses of Dilaudid, Toradol and morphine to control the pain. The ultrasound did not find evidence of the fibroid and my ovaries were back to normal size. I was sent home on Percocet and as soon as I walked in the door at home I felt a need to urinate. Before I could sit on the toilet something fell out of my vagina it was whitish gray in color with some areas of bloody material. I don't know what it was. It was approximately 7 inches X 5 in. It was about 1/2 in. thick I don't know what it was but it really scared me. Today I am extremely sore in my lower abdomen and feel weak.

Comment from: StormAngelus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have one fibroid that's grown about 40% in the past year, and worse, I'm now constantly fighting my period! Two months ago I had the worst period ever, 16 days long, and heavy with tons of clots. I'm constantly exhausted and the worst of it is I had to take medication to "stop" the period - and heaven help me if I miss one dose! My body tries to go right back into a period. I hate it! I've talked to my doctor about the heavy period, but I don't know what to do about the near-constant period!

Comment from: adrena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

In September I collapsed from severe dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath and fatigue. I got to the emergency room where, after having my blood drawn, was immediately admitted to intensive care and started on what would end up being given 6 units of blood. My red blood count was .3, the doctors were surprised I was even alive. I had no red blood, no potassium and no iron. My bone marrow was no longer making red blood. At first they thought I had something wrong with my bone marrow, brain and then found a fibroid. I had been having such heavy bleeding for the previous 3 to 4 months I could not leave my home. I had shortness of breath and a pounding heart whenever I walked 5 feet or more. I had recently moved to Colorado where the doctor said it was just adjusting to the high altitude and it would pass. I moved to Florida thinking it is not passing. Then I ended up in the hospital receiving blood and iron IVs for 4 days. I started shot treatments to stop the bleeding and 6 additional units of iron to build my blood up which has taken 6 weeks. I had to go to the Infusion Centre weekly for my iron as my doctor said I could not handle the normal every other day iron infusions. I am having the Da Vinci robotic surgery in the next 2 weeks for my hysterectomy, and while I am concerned about the apparent side effects of having a hysterectomy, I am happy there is such a non invasive option with such a short recovery time. I hope my surgery goes well and I don't end up suffering from any of the severe side effects such as osteoporosis, tumors, blockages etc.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?