Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Not Myself, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 47 and just found out two months ago I have 3 fibroids all equal in size, (about the size of a baseball) pressing on my bladder, my abdomen, and my lower back (nerve). Two and a half years ago I had a uterine ablation (the surgical removal of the lining of the uterus) because I was experiencing extreme anemia due to heavy menstrual cycles. I tried to get a hysterectomy done back then, but my doctor suggested I do the ablation. Needless to say, I have a scheduled surgery date in two weeks for a partial hysterectomy. I can't wait! I am in so much pain, from numbness up and down my leg to sharp pains shooting in my abdomen that feel like contractions. Every time I eat or drink something, I have to run straight to the bathroom. I am over this uncomfortable feeling and ready to get back to the old me. Many of my family and friends keep telling me I don't seem like myself. This is why I stated sharing. In doing so, I found out many women have already been through what I'm about to experience and glad they made that decision. I'm ready to say bye-bye to my baseballs.

Comment from: FrksFrau, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with fibroids several years ago. At the time, I only had heavy bleeding for 24 hours, so I did nothing. However, now I am at 3 full days and the cramps are extremely painful. I easily go through a box and a half of 40 Ultra tampons each cycle. The obstetrician/gynecologist just diagnosed me with severe anemia after he ordered a full blood test. My uterus is enlarged. I'm going in for a hysterosalpingogram this Tuesday to find out if the fibroids can be removed and then have an endometrial ablation, or if I need, a hysterectomy. I'm hoping for the first, bracing myself for the second.

Comment from: lakesha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I am 39 years old and I just found out that I have 6 fibroids. Two are in my uterus and the others are on my ovaries. I don't know what the doctors are planning on doing. My periods aren't that bad, I just have bad cramps and a lot of bleeding on the second day of my period, it's not unbearable pain and the bleeding isn't that severe. My period just lasts 7 days instead of 5 days. The thought of me having these nasty looking things inside of me freaks me out and I want them removed as soon as possible. I'm waiting to hear from the doctor to see what the plan is, hopefully he can remove them without removing my uterus.

Comment from: lg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had uterine fibroids for a while now. My mom had them also. I had an open myomectomy surgery in 2007. My doctor took out 21 small fibroids. He left some because they were by blood vessels. I had a baby in 2010, I nursed, and once the child turned 6 months, the cycles started back. It was a disaster, like a crime scene. While lying down, the blood builds up, and once I stand up, it"s all over. The blood clots are huge, I hate them. I later got back on the pill, to help regulate my cycles. I did not want to do that, after taking them for 15 years, and then 5 years later, taking them again. The blood is still heavy, but not as much. I don"t have as many accidents. I just hate to sneeze or stand, after sitting long periods of time. I do want to have another child. So now I"m just waiting, still taking the pill. Afterwards, I would like to have a hysterectomy. I"m tired of these fibroids. I don"t have many cramps, but they are just irritating.

Comment from: Sholanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I found out that I had uterine fibroids two years ago at the age of 37. The pain is sometimes a bit tolerable, but then there are times when the pain is just unbearable. I had a horrible pain episode a couple of days ago. I literally had to crouch down on all fours and breathe as if I was having a baby, just to get some relief. It also made me very nauseous. Pain medication doesn't really help much.

Comment from: Ronda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am a 41 year old woman, who was recently diagnosed with uterine fibroids. Like many of you, I have experienced pelvic pain for quite some time now. Lately, I have experienced increased menstrual cycles and spotting, in addition to pressure by my rectum (which I just found out is a symptom as well). Though I had high risk pregnancies, I have 2 children and lost one (with the two living I barely made it to the 7th month and the one I lost I was 20 weeks). At this point, I am not looking to have any more children and would prefer to have a hysterectomy - I guess my worry with that is most people I know who have had the surgery experience problems with weight gain.

Comment from: Going through it, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"m 30 and found out about my fibroids months after I turned 30. I"ve been seeing a gynecologist faithfully every 6 months and now she sees them. My menstrual period was always 7 days but as I got older it started to get heavy, and I started to get really bad back pain. After I turned 30 I started to see spots for a couple of days. I told my gynecologist, had the ultrasound and they found one fibroid that was 2 cm and then a few little ones. She prescribed me birth control, the lowest one and the first month I was ok, but by the 2nd month I started spotting again, and now for longer days, like 10 days now; and my period isn"t here yet. I do get pain on my left side, which is where the fibroid is located and I get pain and pressure as if I want to use the bathroom, or something is just pushing with pain. I take Motrin but it only works for a certain time. My mom made me some bush tea and the pain is gone but, now I'm bleeding more than usual. I don"t know what to do. I started to change my diet, I eat more fish and fruits and vegetables. I stopped eating meat. I reduced my sugar intake and am even trying to do a detox to better myself because I do not want to keep feeding this thing. I want to have kids one day and this is not looking good. My mother and aunts on both sides of my parents all had a hysterectomy. I only have one maternal aunt who didn"t have any kids because she had it the worst. She had fibroids twice and lost her baby twice. I am every day hoping I get better or that something works, or to at least one day still bear a child.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?