Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 3 fibroids and my general physician says they are too small to be removed and will not refer me to a gynecologist. They are 3mm. I have heavy periods which he has given me tablets for, excruciating lower back pain and old blood after my period. I wonder if the fibroids are causing this.

Comment from: VLeake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 56 year old with uterine fibroids. I don't know how many but the last time I was at the doctor's they said it was the size of a 12 months pregnancy. Now my stomach is so large and also now I have a smaller pouch just below my C section I had in 84. In size it feels like medium size tennis balls; I have to lift my stomach up to sit down. I am a diabetic as well with other medical troubles but I want these out. My back hurts because they are so large it pushes on my back, but one thing I don't understand is how it makes your stomach so large.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 45 this year. I have huge uterine fibroids, but I have controlled the bleeding with something natural called Dim-plus. In my area they have a treatment called Acessa. It is where they use focused laser inserted into the fibroids and melt at least 50% or more. I have been waiting for something like this, because I have one day of heavy bleeding, but pressure more than I would like and I look pregnant. My consultation is on 4/15/14. I would advise anyone to look into this, if you want to keep your uterus.

Comment from: sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

With uterine fibroids I wonder if anyone experiences chronic lower back pain and pelvic pain. It feels like pulling or a lot of pressure.

Comment from: Sofie77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 29 year old, slim and otherwise healthy, with 4 fibroids, 3 posterior, one anterior. One of them is as large as 11cm in diameter and I am told I will not be able to bear children with it on my uterus. I am very distressed to hear this news, but if anyone can speak about their experiences about removing the cyst/fibroid and not the entire uterus, it would be appreciated. I did not want to have children till 33-34, and I just want to know if that will be possible anymore.

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 45 years old. Since I was 30, I had 3 abdominal laparotomies to extract multiple fibroids. Now my uterus is 16 cm, with multiple fibroids again with the biggest one 9cm in size. I never had children and it hurts to think of losing my uterus.

Comment from: CarrieK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 36 years old. I have had horrible periods since I was 11. I hurt and ache in my stomach, back and legs. I bleed heavily and have horrible clots. I have seen a doctor who finally diagnosed me, I have uterine fibroids. I am having a hysterectomy very soon. Hopefully I will feel better.

Comment from: Ul1964, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a da Vinci robotic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago as a result of multiple fibroids causing severe periods, anemia and back pain. My surgery was nearly 6 hours long due to the size of my uterus. I kept my ovaries but the surgeon removed my uterus, fallopian tubes and cervix. The recovery has not been too bad. The first few days required pain killers but after about a week I have only been taking Motrin. The worst part now is the general weakness and tiredness I have and lower abdominal ache. I'm hoping to go back to work within the next few days. I researched all available procedures before undergoing the robotic hysterectomy which was my best option. So far so good.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?