Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Steg1351, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 33, about 8 months ago I was having a lot fluttering and dull aches and pain. I wanted to make sure that I did not have a tubal pregnancy. I had a normal PAP and they had to do an ultrasound and found a fibroid. Soon after, I had a biopsy to confirm that it was non-cancerous. I have every symptom in the book that my fibroids is growing too large. If I want my life back I got to have a hysterectomy. It is literally sucking the life out of me. Often times I feel week, fatigue, abdominal pain, constipation, painful intercourse, dizziness, frequent urination, headaches, back aches and every day I feel sick. More so due to making me anemic because of it sucking the blood out of me. I put off having a hysterectomy but, I can't keep living like this.

Comment from: ML3girls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had vaginal bleeding since Aug 17 so it has been approximately 3 months of daily bleeding. Last month I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids and polycystic ovary. The doctor put me on birth control pills in early October. My pack finished on Thursday. On Saturday morning I had severe pain; it felt like something had dropped and was obstructing the vaginal canal. I had to go to the hospital (it felt like I was in labor). I was given two doses of Dilaudid, Toradol and morphine to control the pain. The ultrasound did not find evidence of the fibroid and my ovaries were back to normal size. I was sent home on Percocet and as soon as I walked in the door at home I felt a need to urinate. Before I could sit on the toilet something fell out of my vagina it was whitish gray in color with some areas of bloody material. I don't know what it was. It was approximately 7 inches X 5 in. It was about 1/2 in. thick I don't know what it was but it really scared me. Today I am extremely sore in my lower abdomen and feel weak.

Comment from: StormAngelus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have one fibroid that's grown about 40% in the past year, and worse, I'm now constantly fighting my period! Two months ago I had the worst period ever, 16 days long, and heavy with tons of clots. I'm constantly exhausted and the worst of it is I had to take medication to "stop" the period - and heaven help me if I miss one dose! My body tries to go right back into a period. I hate it! I've talked to my doctor about the heavy period, but I don't know what to do about the near-constant period!

Comment from: adrena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

In September I collapsed from severe dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath and fatigue. I got to the emergency room where, after having my blood drawn, was immediately admitted to intensive care and started on what would end up being given 6 units of blood. My red blood count was .3, the doctors were surprised I was even alive. I had no red blood, no potassium and no iron. My bone marrow was no longer making red blood. At first they thought I had something wrong with my bone marrow, brain and then found a fibroid. I had been having such heavy bleeding for the previous 3 to 4 months I could not leave my home. I had shortness of breath and a pounding heart whenever I walked 5 feet or more. I had recently moved to Colorado where the doctor said it was just adjusting to the high altitude and it would pass. I moved to Florida thinking it is not passing. Then I ended up in the hospital receiving blood and iron IVs for 4 days. I started shot treatments to stop the bleeding and 6 additional units of iron to build my blood up which has taken 6 weeks. I had to go to the Infusion Centre weekly for my iron as my doctor said I could not handle the normal every other day iron infusions. I am having the Da Vinci robotic surgery in the next 2 weeks for my hysterectomy, and while I am concerned about the apparent side effects of having a hysterectomy, I am happy there is such a non invasive option with such a short recovery time. I hope my surgery goes well and I don't end up suffering from any of the severe side effects such as osteoporosis, tumors, blockages etc.

Comment from: MsShon75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I discovered that I had two fibroid tumors in March 2012 during a visit to my OB/Gyn. Since the discovery, I have experienced intense pain. Pain medications do not seem to help at all. I have tried ibuprofen, prescription pain pills prescribed by my doctor, Tylenol, and nothing seems to ease the pain. During my cycles, I have to use a tampon and a sanitary napkin at the same time because the bleeding is so heavy. I am always fatigued, and I lose a lot of sleep because I am in pain all of the time. I don't know what else to do. I am just sick of the pain.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?