Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: kala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 48 years old. I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids and thickened endometrium as well. For a few years I have been seeing obstetrician/gynecologist for heavy periods. But now my big concern is my heavy period started early November and hasn't stopped yet till now. I tried hormonal pills and IUD (intra-uterine device) as well. It seems it didn't work. I am on wait and see game. I know that my menopause is just around the corner but I can't function normally.

Comment from: Rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a myomectomy at the age of 23 in the mid-1960s. By the time the condition was discovered the tumor was the size of a football and my stomach was swollen and distorted. I did not have much pain or abnormal bleeding and I could not understand why my stomach was so distorted and bulging. I knew that I was not pregnant, but my symptoms were ignored until too late. I guess that I did not fit the criteria of a uterine fibroid sufferer. I never could have kids after this.

Comment from: pl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I experienced a fluorescent green discharge with some blood but no symptoms of pain and no odor whatsoever. I ended up in the emergency room (ER) and after a vaginal ultrasound, I was told that I had a uterine fibroid that had died and that was probably the pain I was experiencing. I have symptoms of excruciating pain in my right ovary and still have discharge. I also feel full after 2 bites of food and have to urinate frequently (sometimes every 1/2 hour). I now have pain in both ovaries and have a distended tummy. I am looking at options for a hysterectomy as I have not been tolerating the pain very well and do not want to go through this again.

Comment from: Rustee1970, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 44 and yesterday had a pelvic ultrasound scan after two years of terrible cramping for up to a week before (and during) my periods. I am also up and down all night going to the toilet and have been passing large clots when having my period. I only finally mentioned these symptoms after chatting with my Mum about what was going on (she had same scan the week previous). What surprised me was that even I could see at least one massive fibroid on the scan (perfectly round)! I will be seeing the general physician again next week for the results but realistically I just want the pain to stop and to not feel like I have to pee every half hour.

Comment from: Kym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroid when I was 30 years old. They were really small on the ultra sound, but within the last 7 months they have started to grow in size and increase in number. I am presently waiting to be seen by a gynecologist. The pain, pressure, fullness and cramping is awful, sometimes unbearable. My periods are crazy, week long, extremely heavy flow, and not able to leave home. Tummy is quite distended and painful. Just staying positive and taking one day at a time. All the best ladies in the same or similar situation.

Comment from: Not Myself, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 47 and just found out two months ago I have 3 fibroids all equal in size, (about the size of a baseball) pressing on my bladder, my abdomen, and my lower back (nerve). Two and a half years ago I had a uterine ablation (the surgical removal of the lining of the uterus) because I was experiencing extreme anemia due to heavy menstrual cycles. I tried to get a hysterectomy done back then, but my doctor suggested I do the ablation. Needless to say, I have a scheduled surgery date in two weeks for a partial hysterectomy. I can't wait! I am in so much pain, from numbness up and down my leg to sharp pains shooting in my abdomen that feel like contractions. Every time I eat or drink something, I have to run straight to the bathroom. I am over this uncomfortable feeling and ready to get back to the old me. Many of my family and friends keep telling me I don't seem like myself. This is why I stated sharing. In doing so, I found out many women have already been through what I'm about to experience and glad they made that decision. I'm ready to say bye-bye to my baseballs.

Comment from: FrksFrau, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with fibroids several years ago. At the time, I only had heavy bleeding for 24 hours, so I did nothing. However, now I am at 3 full days and the cramps are extremely painful. I easily go through a box and a half of 40 Ultra tampons each cycle. The obstetrician/gynecologist just diagnosed me with severe anemia after he ordered a full blood test. My uterus is enlarged. I'm going in for a hysterosalpingogram this Tuesday to find out if the fibroids can be removed and then have an endometrial ablation, or if I need, a hysterectomy. I'm hoping for the first, bracing myself for the second.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?