Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 09

My age is 53 and three doctors have told me to have hysterectomy, within last 5 years. I did not want that. Two years ago I was told I had too many fibroids to count but the guess was 30 to 40. Back pain is terrible when standing, and soon as I sit I am ok.

Comment from: Bella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Over the past 10 years my periods were getting heavier and heavier to the point where I wasn't even able to leave the house for 5 days due to the extreme bleeding. I was also finding I was having a period for 10 to 13 days on top of the heavy bleeding. Although I didn't suffer from cramping or other symptoms like many women, I was constantly tired and fed up. My periods were ruining my life and negatively impacting on work. After consulting a gynecologist I decided the best treatment would be a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I chose this over a hysterectomy because the down time is 5 days versus a month or more. The procedure is performed by a radiologist under anesthesia; although you are awake during the procedure (the doctor needs you to follow his instructions during the procedure) there was no pain. Recovery was a night in hospital. The pain starts a few hours after the procedure, but with self-administered pain medicines plus heavy duty drugs every few hours it was manageable. I was sent home 24 hours after the procedure and rated for the next few days. The pain was totally manageable and I was fully recovered and back at work the following Monday. There was a noticeable difference with my next period. Very light bleeding for 3 days. I had the treatment nearly 12 months ago and I continue to have extremely light periods for a few days. Having the UFE was the best thing I ever did. I just went with that as I'd seen someone about it who had the surgery years ago. I have my life back.

Comment from: AnnMJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had relatively minor pain with my periods during most of my life. At around age 50 I was bleeding all the time; it might just be spotting, or a full period, but it was constant. After several months, I brought it to the attention of my gynecologist. He immediately scheduled me for a uterine ablation due to anemia. After that, I continued to have regular periods, but stopped bleeding between cycles. We tried the Depo-Provera injections, but those caused me to bleed 24/7 again, and I ended up with phlebitis, so had to stop them. Over the past few years, I've had increasing pain and cramping when I cycle. I'm 56 and the cycle only lasts a few days, although I still pass blood, it's a minimal amount. Despite that, the cramps are very intense and debilitating. I haven't vomited, but I do rely on ibuprofen and prescription muscle relaxers to help me through it. My obstetrician/gynecologist, primary care physician and I agree that I'm so close to the end of menstruating, I should try to hold off instead of having a hysterectomy. In reading some of the information on line about women who continue to have pain post menopause, I have to admit it scares me. If I hurt this bad even a few years ago when my periods were in full swing, I would not have hesitated to have a hysterectomy. It's more painful than I would have ever imagined and I'm just so grateful I didn't have this all my life, as some women suffer with it!

Comment from: kala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 48 years old. I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids and thickened endometrium as well. For a few years I have been seeing obstetrician/gynecologist for heavy periods. But now my big concern is my heavy period started early November and hasn't stopped yet till now. I tried hormonal pills and IUD (intra-uterine device) as well. It seems it didn't work. I am on wait and see game. I know that my menopause is just around the corner but I can't function normally.

Comment from: Rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a myomectomy at the age of 23 in the mid-1960s. By the time the condition was discovered the tumor was the size of a football and my stomach was swollen and distorted. I did not have much pain or abnormal bleeding and I could not understand why my stomach was so distorted and bulging. I knew that I was not pregnant, but my symptoms were ignored until too late. I guess that I did not fit the criteria of a uterine fibroid sufferer. I never could have kids after this.

Comment from: pl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I experienced a fluorescent green discharge with some blood but no symptoms of pain and no odor whatsoever. I ended up in the emergency room (ER) and after a vaginal ultrasound, I was told that I had a uterine fibroid that had died and that was probably the pain I was experiencing. I have symptoms of excruciating pain in my right ovary and still have discharge. I also feel full after 2 bites of food and have to urinate frequently (sometimes every 1/2 hour). I now have pain in both ovaries and have a distended tummy. I am looking at options for a hysterectomy as I have not been tolerating the pain very well and do not want to go through this again.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?