Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 16

I am a 60 year old lady and I'm having lower back pains and headaches frequently. I also experience a sticking pain around the area of my left breast that sometimes lasts very long, I was told by the doctor that I have small fibroids and spot sometimes. I am also diagnosed with gouty arthritis. I am very worried and would like to know why the headaches especially.

Comment from: samu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was suffering from heavy periods and diagnosed with fibroids in ultrasonography 4 years back. Due to mixed suggestions I avoided the surgery, but I lost one of my kidney and other was only 30% functional. After surgery I am normal and function of my kidney is improved from 30% to 60%.

Comment from: janice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a 41 years old woman. I have been diagnosed with fibroids. The symptoms I have are spotting between menses, 37 days menses (from 28 days), two miscarriages, and painful intercourse. The likelihood of having a child is zero and telling my spouse who wants a child was the most terrible thing I had to do. I am not nervous about removing my uterus because my health is paramount to anything else. Despite being attractive and financially stable, one cannot help but feel helpless and hopeless as a woman. Yes, I have one child, but not being able to give your partner a child makes me feel less than a woman. The surgery is scheduled for March 21, 2014, thankfully, it's free in Canada. I will keep you posted. All but my fallopian tubes will remain.

Comment from: KC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

For several years now, like many of you, I have suffered with uterine fibroids. One measured 12cm and was larger than my entire uterus. One was about 6cm, I don"t know how big or small the others measured. I"ve had heavy periods, terrible lower back pain, etc. In addition, I have multiple sclerosis. Together, my doctors had to find a way to help me. My gynecologist settled on the UFE, uterine fibroid embolism, as this procedure was a lot less invasive than a hysterectomy at this time. I had the procedure done on Monday. The pain during the first 24 hours was insurmountable! However, I honestly believe that this procedure will help me. I"m relatively ok at this point. I just can't seem to have a bowel movement as of yet. I"m very optimistic about this procedure.

Comment from: adub, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 40 year old woman. I was told that I have at least 3 uterine fibroids by my gynecologist in September of 2013. Before my appointment I had not gotten my period for over 6 months. I started having pain in my lower back and abdomen in June of 2013 which escalated as my appointment neared. I also had bouts of bloating with excessive weight gain. I am also having bouts of depression and mood swings. I was given Provera to induce periods but so far have only seen my period 1 month. Now the pain is unbearable, I am depressed and feel like the Good Year blimp. Hopefully I will get some relief soon, I'm scheduled for another ultrasound next week.

Comment from: Deedums, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with UF (uterine fibroids) at 47 years of age. I was experiencing very heavy bleeding, abdominal cramping during my periods for about two years. I had to take the day off of work if my first day of my period landed on a weekday. I was anemic and my gynecologist suggested endometrial ablation to stop the bleeding/anemia. It's been two years and the pain and bleeding are minimal. The UF is still there (7 cm) and now I have pressure on my bladder/abdominal area. If it has grown in these two years, I will opt for hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in place. The drug side effects are worrisome.

Comment from: relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 52 years old and the past few months I have had horrific periods due to fibroids. My periods were so bad I was afraid to leave the house. Recently I underwent the outpatient procedure, uterine fibroid embolization to relieve the heavy bleeding. I have not had a period since this procedure so I can't say what difference it has made. I was told it would have an effect on my cycle delaying my period and because of my age it might push me into menopause. Either way I'm relieved because this procedure will either reduce my period or end it all together and for me that's great news considering what I have been through.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?