Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis

What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?

Comment from: krc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had an MRI after years of debilitating cramps, blood clots the size of a dime, migraines, body aches, and one time even a fever with my period. The MRI revealed several fibroid tumors, the largest one being 4cm! When I asked my doctor how long it takes for that many/that large, he said they've probably been there for at least 10 years! Apparently fibroid tumors can be undetected during normal pelvic exams. The MRI indicated that my uterus is tipped backwards, which also would have caused them to be back too far to have been detected during annual exams.

Comment from: Grammarcop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

For about a week now, I've been having tummy pains and went to see my general physician who had a good poke around and told me that I was at least 3 months pregnant despite menstruating. I went for a blood test which came back negative. Yesterday the pain was so bad that I went for an emergency ultrasound which showed a fibroid of at least 17 cm. I have suffered from chronic anemia for the last 5 years which apparently is one of the symptoms of fibroids. I also have 9 day periods with a lot of clotting. This morning I have vomited and feel sick after eating. (Stress?) I have to wait 6 weeks for an MRI, but the pain is so bad that I called in sick this morning and as I am a freelancer, if I don't work I don't get paid! I'm 42 and have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years to no avail. It's all very scary!

Comment from: Meggus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I went to a gynecologist. She said that my pelvic pain was more likely from bowel problems. I have a spasmodic bowel and I have been trying different suggestions to settle this. I also have uterine fibroids that have been there for some years. They have increased in size. I am still in pain and feel ill. I was told a hysterectomy was the only way I could get rid of fibroids.

Comment from: simone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I went for a VIA (visual inspection with acetic acid) test and was diagnosed with fibroid.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?