Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Surgery

If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?

Comment from: JG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy 4 days ago. Ten years ago I had surgery to remove the fibroids from my uterus. This time it wasn"t an option for me. I"m doing great with my recovery. I spent 1 night in the hospital and have been home resting since then. I feel better now than I did in the months before this procedure. My fibroids were ruining my life. The pain and bleeding was too much to take. Find a doctor who is experienced with this method. So much better than the big incision some doctors do.

Comment from: NKT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

At age 38, I had surgery to remove a "sea of fibroid cysts" (per my doctor) and to remove a larger cyst that had attached itself to my left ovary. My doctor had suggested a hysterectomy since I have a 10 year old son, but I was just not ready and thought that seemed a little drastic. She did say that she may need to remove the left ovary altogether if the cyst can't be removed. On surgery day, after surgery I woke up with horrible cramping and debilitating pain and asked the attending nurse if the ovary was removed. She said that they did the surgery as planned and removed the fibroid cysts, loaded me up with pain medications and sent me home. It wasn't until 3 days later that I found out about the ovary being removed. I know she warned me that it was a possibility but it would have been nice to know what caused the extreme cramping and pain all the way to my back. The pain was so bad that I couldn't stand up straight for 5 days. One and a half years later, I had a CT and it shows fibroids in my uterus and one that is growing on my right ovary. It is 3.2 x 2.6 cm and it looks like my need to save my uterus and an ovary was a painful waste of time. I am in agony and I pay for my decision every month, sometimes all month. It was not worth it for me.

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had my fibroids removed in December 2013 and was told that I would not have any pain after a month. So far I have the period from then for two months and always have pain in my pelvis area. It feels like they did not remove anything. Now I have to go back and get other ultrasound, because the area around the left ovary side is swollen and looks bruised. I'm not sure if I made the right decision, because I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: metlmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

One week ago today, I had a partial hysterectomy. I had a large fibroid mass in my uterus. They left my ovaries and fallopian tubes but took my uterus & cervix. I am feeling good now. I feel a little swollen right now but it has only been a week since my surgery. I am going to really enjoy not having to deal with pain, periods, birth control, anemia, and the expense of feminine products. I am very happy that I had this done.

Comment from: melany, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Recently I had a fibroid removal operation. During my post-op checkup, my doctor said that, while removing the fibroids, he saw that my tubes and intestines were together. He is recommending another operation to separate the two. I don't have a child and am wondering if I will be able to get pregnant after both surgeries.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?