Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Treatment

What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids

Comment from: Shelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids at the age of 35. I had absolutely no symptoms but I started noticing my belly was getting very large and very hard. I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she told me I needed to get an ultrasound as soon as possible. At first she thought I was pregnant. She measured my uterus as roughly 16 weeks. My ultrasound and MRI confirmed several very large fibroids. Being petite in stature I was told I could not have the fibroids removed laparoscopically. I ended needing a myomectomy 7 months later (November 2015) and I had a vertical incision. They removed 7 fibroids, altogether 1.5 pounds. At my follow up appointment 6 months later my ultrasound again revealed 1 large and 1 small fibroid.

Comment from: Lumpy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with fibroids and level 3 endometriosis by laparoscopy and hysteroscopy in 2005 and the gynecologist scheduled me in for a hysterectomy. However in the pre-operation meeting with the nurse I was asked to sign that the doctor would also remove my ovaries although there had never been any discussion about this. I was not allowed to discuss it with the surgeon, it was just automatic. I didn't attend the operation. I have moved from Scotland (iron injections available) to England and here I am expected to take iron tablets daily along with mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid. They are making me constipated and incontinent. I think I need to revisit surgery as an option.

Comment from: Gods Grace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid two years ago. My boyfriend who is very knowledgeable on herbal medications immediately told me I needed "Pau d'Arco" which is a wonderful herb, but then when he saw my varicose veins he told me to get "Butcher's Broom". So I did and as helpful as Pau d'Arco was when I started taking the Butcher's Broom it significantly reduced the monthly bleeding which was my only problem. I want to get this out there in order to help someone. My boyfriend's prescription was for me to take the Pau d'Arco to shrink the fibroid but I have not been a very good patient because when I discovered that if I take the Butcher's Broom consistently at the time of my period then I have a regular and normal period.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 64 year old woman who has had fibroids in my uterus for 35 years. I was told that after menopause the fibroids should shrink by themselves. I went into menopause when I was 47. My fibroids did not shrink and in fact still continue to grow, currently 7cm. I now have a great deal of pressure in my pelvis and will be having a hysterectomy.

Comment from: AuntBea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

There is a drug in Canada and in Europe that works very well to reduce the size of uterine fibroids. Fibrastal in Canada and Esmya in Europe. Sadly, it's not approved in the US. As I don't want to be cut open and suffer through 4 to 6 weeks of recovery and have a giant scar, my only option will be uterine fibroid embolization. Hopefully it works.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a uterine fibroid that grew to the size of a large cantaloupe. I had severe abdominal pain and cramps for months prior to surgery. My only option was a partial hysterectomy. The doctors left my Fallopian tubes and ovaries so I would not go through premature menopause.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?