- Uterine Fibroids Slideshow
- Endometriosis Quiz
- Infertility Treatment Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience
- Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Surgery
- Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- Uterine fibroids facts
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What causes uterine fibroids and how common are they?
- What are the symptomsof uterine fibroids?
- Do untreated uterine fibroids pose a risk?
- What are the usual ways of diagnosing uterine fibroids?
- What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for fibroids
- Medical treatment for fibroids
- What are the risks of uterine fibroids during pregnancy?
Quick GuideWomen's Health: A Visual Guide to Uterine Fibroids
What are the risks of uterine fibroids during pregnancy?
Some studies have shown an increased risk of pregnancy complications in the presence of fibroids, such as first trimester bleeding, breech presentation, placental abruption, and problems during labor. Fibroids have also been associated with an increased risk of cesarean delivery. The size of the fibroid and its precise location within the uterus are important factors in determining whether a fibroid causes obstetric complications.
Medically reviewed by Steven Nelson, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology
eMedicine.com. Leiomyoma, uterus.
Parker, WH. Uterine myomas: management. Fertil Steril. 2007 Aug;88(2):255-71. Epub 2007 Jul 20.
Previous contributing medical author: Leon Baginski, MD, FACOG