Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: Tena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

On Thanksgiving 2016 I saw two very small spots of blood on my underwear. After that I had brown (like old blood) smears when I used tissue. Since it was the holiday weekend there wasn't much I could do but first thing Monday I tried to get in to my doctor and couldn't so I went to the emergency room. They did an ultrasound (internal and external) and told me it most likely was uterine cancer because my endometrial lining was 15 mm thick (oncologist says it should be around 4mm). I got an appointment the next Tuesday with a gynecologist who performed a D and C, and hysteroscopy. The following Thursday the biopsy came back as endometrial cancer, endometrioid, grade 2. I was referred to a gynecologist/oncologist/surgeon. Now I am scheduled to have a da Vinci robotic hysterectomy with removal of lymph nodes on Thursday, December 22. The doctor says that I have every reason to believe that this is very early stage so I am trying to remain calm. The weird thing is that I seem to have had symptoms that mimic PMS (premenstrual syndrome)! Very irritable, crying for no reason, acne breakout, and cramping. Very strange.

Comment from: Snehal gupta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 22

My mother is 46 year old. My mom was having bleeding for 15 days after this. Same thing happened after 2 months later, and that time it was white bleeding. After this we checked from a doctor and she was diagnosed with uterine cancer. After this we did MRI to check the cancer stage and found it was early stage. After this our doctor did surgery and removed the uterus. Now I am worrying about danger of cancer after removal of the uterus.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

At 64 I was diagnosed with hyperplasia with atypia by D and C. Six weeks later I had a hysterectomy, along with tubes, cervix and ovaries and appendix. It was stage 1 A. My only symptoms of uterine cancer were 2 mm spots of blood. It is now three years later and right now I am fine. My gynecologist took my symptoms seriously and so it was early. I knew post-menopausal bleeding is never good. It should never be ignored. I am grateful for every day. So if you think something is wrong get the doctor to do the tests.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am a 60 year old, overweight, single woman. I have had no children, started menstruating at age 10, quit menstruating at age 50. I did not have any abnormal bleeding. I was walking my dog and experienced a sudden, sharp, stabbing pain in the left lower quadrant of my abdomen. It lasted about 10 minutes, then was sore for 24 hours, and then went away. Nothing more until it happened again one month later. Same scenario. I saw my doctor and explained what happened. She sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound. It showed a polyp. I had a D and C, hysteroscopy and polypectomy. Two days later my obstetrician/gynecologist called to tell me I had grade 1, stage 1 uterine cancer. The polyp was grade 1 adenocarcinoma. I was referred to a surgeon specializing in female reproductive cancer. I then had a hysterectomy, removal of ovaries and tubes, and sentinel lymph node biopsy. The lymph nodes were negative. The tissue showed one very small polyp with abnormal cells. Therefore, the hysterectomy is my cure. I do not need any radiation or further treatment of any kind. I am so thankful that I paid attention to the pain that I had and that my doctor is very conscientious about following up on symptoms. Be sure to listen to your body and follow up!

Comment from: Lexy B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer stage 1 on 10 to 15. I had been bleeding for over a year. My family doctor said it was fibroids and they would go away. She said she has them and it stopped on its own. I had a Pap smear test and everything came back normal. So over a year later I am still bleeding, heavily. My husband changed jobs so the new insurance I didn't need a referral. I went directly to a specialist at woman's health. Within a week I had the results. I go in tomorrow to find out what he is going to do. Wish me luck.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?