Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had spotting in July, Pap test was inconclusive and told not to worry. I wouldn't take inconclusive as a diagnosis. Months went by with two other tests that were inconclusive and still told not to worry. I went for D&C and endometrial cancer was found. I went to an oncologist for second opinion and had surgery in December. Prognosis is excellent. Never accept "don't worry as a diagnosis!" We have to be our own advocate regarding our healthcare and ask questions. We know when something is "just not right".

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 49 years old woman with a diagnosed uterus cancer grade 1, 2 days ago and my doctor said I should have total hysterectomy the next week and after that according to pathology he will decide about other treatment. My older sister had the same problem 5 years ago and was treated with surgery and radiotherapy and every 6 months she is checked for reoccurring but she has not any sign. I am worried now and I can't do anything but I try to be positive and change my diet (more vegetarian) and exercise.

Comment from: Traceylee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 42 years old and was diagnosed with uterine cancer in February of 2009, which was discovered while seeing a fertility specialist to get pregnant. I already have three children, but I am in a relationship with a man who has not had children. I am told it is grade 1, which has mature and slow-growing cells. So, there is little risk in putting off having the hysterectomy if we wish to pursue trying to conceive. I am awaiting an MRI and CT scan that may help with the decision-making process. What a rollercoaster of emotions!

Comment from: msanders5481, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 27 years old. My only risk factors are that I am a white female. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer on 06/06/07. I started chemo that day and will have my last treatment this month. I also had a complete hysterectomy, which is what the doctor said was best for long-term remission. I just keep my fingers crossed and pray and thank God every day. My best advice is eat right, exercise, find something that relaxes you, and maintain a good attitude; it will help you heal much better, and it feels better being cheerful instead of dwelling on “why me?” Remember, who would you really wish this on? Keep in mind, "What doesn't destroy me only makes me stronger!"

Comment from: NE female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 49 years old and was diagnosed this summer with endometrial cancer. I sought an evaluation because I had been bleeding for three weeks. I had a total hysterectomy and the pathology report indicated that it was contained in the endometrium. It took a good five to seven weeks to rest before I returned to work. No further treatment (chemo/radiation) was needed. I just went back for my four-month check-up and they thought I was doing fine. I feel fortunate to have the positive prognosis. I am thinking of all of you who are dealing with the same diagnosis. May you have the support and good medical care you need. I continue to worry about the possibility of a reoccurrence down the road, but I hope that it is over.

Comment from: Cy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 63 and was just diagnosed with uterine cancer. This was the result of vaginal bleeding that was checked out. I am stage I. I will have a robotic hysterectomy in two weeks. I am not looking forward to this, but I don"t need my uterus, etc. any more. I will not have chemotherapy or radiation because it is too destructive. I will have a natural cure (in case it has moved to another part of my body).

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with endometrial adenocarcinoma last July and had a radical hysterectomy. It was a grade 1, stage 1B. I had the surgery on Friday July 11th and was home again on Monday, July 14. I was not high-risk and always ate well. I went to the gym three or four times a week, so it was all a tremendous shock. I have been fine ever since, but of course, I do worry about recurrence. Sometimes things get on top of me, but I try not to worry. My advice is to eat well, exercise well, and try not to think about it. And always report any symptoms as soon as they appear.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?