Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: KCChession, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 36 years old. In June of 2008, my OBGYN found a polyp on my cervix. After doing additional scans, he also found one on my uterus. In October of 2008, he did bladder surgery and removed the polyps for biopsy. They were OK; however, the cells that were scraped around the polyps came back as pre-cancerous. I was advised that I did not have cancer but had two options: a radical D&C (which technically had already been done) or a partial hysterectomy. (Because he did not feel it was cancer, and because of my age, my ovaries were left to prevent early menopause.) Since I have a history of cancer (thyroid cancer in 2006), I did not hesitate for the hysterectomy, which was performed in November of 2008. Even though we have struggled to get pregnant for a total of about eight years, we did have children. Even after the surgery, I was told there did not appear to be cancer. Well, it was. The biopsy confirmed it. Luckily, it was contained. Recently, I had a third surgery on Dec. 30, 2008 to remove my ovaries, tubes, and lymph nodes. I am feeling OK but do not have results yet for the lymph-node testing. Additional treatment may be needed. I just thank God every day that I did not hesitate to have the hysterectomy because if I had waited in the hopes of having another baby, it may have been too late.

Comment from: Skater1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I am 60 and home recovering from a complete hysterectomy from uterine cancer. The surgeon wants me to receive Taxol and do radiation for possible escaped cancer cells since my tumor in the uterus was Grade 3 but contained. I am presently researching options to see if all this is necessary for me to gain my five-year mark.

Comment from: Ember, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was recently diagnosed with uterine cancer, and I'm only 19 years old. My aunt just died from this same cancer three months after being diagnosed. Fortunately, my cancer was caught early. I am going to have surgery soon, and hopefully, I will get better.

Comment from: Reass, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

In 2005, I found out I had uterine cancer. I did chemo for six months. My cancer grew larger. I had a hysterectomy performed. It's now 2008, and I'm still cancer-free. I think fighting cancer is doing as your doctor says, but a whole lot more. It's being healthy (exercise and diet). It's also spiritual (some type of religion), being stress-free (try yoga, or a hobby). It's also good mental health. I believe in positive thinking and surrounding yourself with positive friends and family.

Comment from: madewy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

My doctor never used the word cancer. I wish he had. Instead he told me I had endometrial carcinoma. Although I knew what carcinoma meant, I wasn't as alarmed as I should have been and didn't do much research myself. I was lax. So I went unquestioningly along with a surgeon who was recommended to me and had a total hysterectomy with bilateral oopherectomy. I've had five way cardiac bypass surgeries in the past, and compared to the hysterectomy and its extended recovery, I'd rather have more heart surgery than another hysterectomy. At the time, I didn't realize there are alternative treatments, but since then I have learned a lot. So please, research carefully and thoroughly and make an informed decision!

Published: July 28

I am 58 and just diagnosed with uterine cancer. (I also have diabetes, high blood pressure and am overweight, all risk factors) as I have just learned. It has been a hard pill to swallow and scary. I will go in for a complete hysterectomy (uterus, tubes and ovaries) in 16 days and I can tell you part of me is terrified but most of me has confidence in my doctor and I feel what will be will be. She tells me this is the best kind of cancer to have, if you are going to get cancer, sort of reassuring (but still scary). Do not know what outcome will be, but I will report back after my surgery. At least I know what is wrong after all this time! I did have a biopsy 7 years ago and all was OK, so do not know how long I have had the cancer.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?