Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: laura9, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer Dec. 28, 2007. I was 45 years old. I had a total hysterectomy on Jan. 14, 2008 followed by 28 external radiation treatments and two internal treatments. My cancer was stage I, grade III. What bothered me is that I always had yearly pap smears and had one in April of 2007 that told my doctor I was experiencing heavier bleeding than usual. They checked me for anemia, and that was it. I took it upon myself to get a second opinion a few months later and thankfully this doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound and found the sarcoma. I thought I was starting menopause! Boy was I wrong! But I was also very lucky! I've been cancer-free for one year, and my prognosis is very good.

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer when she was 37. She underwent a complete hysterectomy. We celebrated her 70th birthday this year. The only risk factor she had was being Caucasian. You truly never know. My sister is 37 and I am 48; we have both had pre-cancerous pap smears and both have had elective hysterectomies.

Published: July 28

I have been misdiagnosed with cervical cancer. After meeting with my oncologist and having exploratory surgery it is now diagnosed as Uterine Cancer, Stomach and going into part of my lymphatic system. I am in stage IV and my Doctor told me this is a very aggressive cancer, and if I do not choose treatment I have only a month to live. If the chemo works, I have surgery in 3 mos. and possibly 3-5 years. I don't get how I could have only had it for about a month? I eat healthy and I am only 46. All articles states the age for this type of cancer is 55-70 year olds. This all started just on July 10th when my pap smear came back from pathologist as positive for cervical cancer and it's not cervical. I feel like a lab rat, and I'm frightened.

Published: July 23

I was diagnosed with uterine sarcoma in June after first undergoing a D&C to remove a polyp. I was having irregular and very heavy bleeding. My gynecologist assured me the polyp was nothing to worry about. After removal and testing though, it came back as malignant. He immediately scheduled an appointment for me with a gynecological oncologist. I thank him every day for that. I had a hysterectomy the next week. The polyp was contained. I did undergo 5 weeks of radiation therapy. So far, so good. On my last visit in April of this year, his nurse told me that I was a miracle. Normally this type will reoccur. It has been four years now and I am doing great. I still worry about it but I am just thankful for everyday that I am here. Janna

Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma in May 2008. I initially had bladder problems, so I had an ultrasound that found a large fibroid. The gynecologist wanted to monitor it for three months before taking further action. However, the heavy bleeding and pain became too much. I was admitted to the hospital and had an exploratory operation. The samples were sent off for analysis and a diagnosis of uterine cancer was confirmed. I had a total hysterectomy a couple of weeks later, taking out the ovaries, and cervix too. As the tumor had “split,” the doctor recommended radiotheraphy to kill off any escaped cells. I have recovered well from the hysterectomy and am now awaiting further treatment. I am age 49 and have had children so losing these organs was not a problem physically, but emotionally it has been a challenge.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I am 55 years old, and I was just diagnosed with uterine cancer. I will go to the oncologist in April for scheduling of a total hysterectomy and whatever treatments are prescribed. I am scared to death, but I need to get things taken care of ASAP. My diagnosis was one year after my oldest daughter's cervical cancer. Wow, what a blow, but we have each other for support. God bless all women who go through this mess.

Comment from: marywel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

The uterine biopsy showed atypical cells. I had two done in July and August. I also have metabolic syndrome, PCOS, and a huge hernia among other maladies. I was sent for a CT scan and ultrasound along with blood work and chest X-ray. The CT scan results showed nothing remarkable except it actually said "history of uterine cancer," which jolted me and obviously was more severe than "atypical cells." I had surgery (hysterectomy and hernia repair) on Nov. 26 -- everything was removed. Pathology showed only two small areas of pre-cancerous cells, so I was very fortunate. The incision looked good, they said, and I was able to urinate and move my bowels before leaving the hospital. My main discomfort now seems to be something internal at the bottom of my abdomen, like a burning sticking awfully intense pain that feels as if I'm being torn apart as someone pours grit and salt into the open wound. I'm told I'm healing well and there are no gaps in the incisions. Staples were removed this past Thursday. I still need help getting in and out of bed, but for the most part, I'm moving pretty well on my own. Hopefully, this severe burning pain will stop soon. I'm 57, so there apparently is no need for HRT.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?