Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: Lexy B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer stage 1 on 10 to 15. I had been bleeding for over a year. My family doctor said it was fibroids and they would go away. She said she has them and it stopped on its own. I had a Pap smear test and everything came back normal. So over a year later I am still bleeding, heavily. My husband changed jobs so the new insurance I didn't need a referral. I went directly to a specialist at woman's health. Within a week I had the results. I go in tomorrow to find out what he is going to do. Wish me luck.

Comment from: willieL, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 05

I was just diagnosed with uterine cancer 2 weeks ago. My gynecologist told me it is very low grade. Because of the holidays I will not see a gynecologist/oncologist until January 13, 2015. I do not know what to expect, other then I need a hysterectomy. Perhaps I will need more tests first. Because of my age I wonder if I will be at a greater risk of the cancer spreading. I also have diabetes and a heart condition. I have to admit I am worried.

Comment from: Annamae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 63 years old. I went through menopause at 50 to 52. I never had any bleeding, spotting, discharge, etc., yet a PET scan (for growing lung nodules) showed a uterine problem which prompted a biopsy. I was told 3 days ago I have high grade endometrial adenocarcinoma - grade 3. I am totally shocked and still in disbelief. I saw my gynecologist 3 months ago for yearly exam. No problems, yet it's a grade 3. Total hysterectomy to be scheduled next week with radiation. I would love to hear of others with grade 3, how long ago, how much radiation and any other treatment.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had spotting in July, Pap test was inconclusive and told not to worry. I wouldn't take inconclusive as a diagnosis. Months went by with two other tests that were inconclusive and still told not to worry. I went for D&C and endometrial cancer was found. I went to an oncologist for second opinion and had surgery in December. Prognosis is excellent. Never accept "don't worry as a diagnosis!" We have to be our own advocate regarding our healthcare and ask questions. We know when something is "just not right".

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 49 years old woman with a diagnosed uterus cancer grade 1, 2 days ago and my doctor said I should have total hysterectomy the next week and after that according to pathology he will decide about other treatment. My older sister had the same problem 5 years ago and was treated with surgery and radiotherapy and every 6 months she is checked for reoccurring but she has not any sign. I am worried now and I can't do anything but I try to be positive and change my diet (more vegetarian) and exercise.

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have just met with my gynecologist after having been on the waiting list for 27 months. She indicated my symptoms don't match my cysts, fibroids or menopause and requested she do a biopsy to which I declined having heard the horror stories. I'm now booked in and with two weeks for surgery, a D and C with a biopsy. I have had many symptoms over the 17 months, chronic fatigue, bleeding, having shedding of the lining of my womb, and having a ferritin count of 7. I have a bloated stomach, heartburn, and weight gain and was under the misconception cancer would cause weight loss and make you frail. I'm hoping I do not have cancer, I have a five year old and am a single parent, the last thing I need is illness of any kind.

Comment from: dalw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I just got a call that my uterine cancer is grade 1B. I am 10 day post-surgery and I had a difficult surgery. My hemoglobin went from 144 to 78 because I had internal bleeding post-surgery and I was being prepared for more surgery 3 days post-surgery but my hemoglobin finally stabilized. Anyway, I just got my staples out and I guess my recovery will be a wee bit slower than most.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?