Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am a 60 year old, overweight, single woman. I have had no children, started menstruating at age 10, quit menstruating at age 50. I did not have any abnormal bleeding. I was walking my dog and experienced a sudden, sharp, stabbing pain in the left lower quadrant of my abdomen. It lasted about 10 minutes, then was sore for 24 hours, and then went away. Nothing more until it happened again one month later. Same scenario. I saw my doctor and explained what happened. She sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound. It showed a polyp. I had a D and C, hysteroscopy and polypectomy. Two days later my obstetrician/gynecologist called to tell me I had grade 1, stage 1 uterine cancer. The polyp was grade 1 adenocarcinoma. I was referred to a surgeon specializing in female reproductive cancer. I then had a hysterectomy, removal of ovaries and tubes, and sentinel lymph node biopsy. The lymph nodes were negative. The tissue showed one very small polyp with abnormal cells. Therefore, the hysterectomy is my cure. I do not need any radiation or further treatment of any kind. I am so thankful that I paid attention to the pain that I had and that my doctor is very conscientious about following up on symptoms. Be sure to listen to your body and follow up!

Comment from: Lexy B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer stage 1 on 10 to 15. I had been bleeding for over a year. My family doctor said it was fibroids and they would go away. She said she has them and it stopped on its own. I had a Pap smear test and everything came back normal. So over a year later I am still bleeding, heavily. My husband changed jobs so the new insurance I didn't need a referral. I went directly to a specialist at woman's health. Within a week I had the results. I go in tomorrow to find out what he is going to do. Wish me luck.

Comment from: willieL, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 05

I was just diagnosed with uterine cancer 2 weeks ago. My gynecologist told me it is very low grade. Because of the holidays I will not see a gynecologist/oncologist until January 13, 2015. I do not know what to expect, other then I need a hysterectomy. Perhaps I will need more tests first. Because of my age I wonder if I will be at a greater risk of the cancer spreading. I also have diabetes and a heart condition. I have to admit I am worried.

Comment from: Annamae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 63 years old. I went through menopause at 50 to 52. I never had any bleeding, spotting, discharge, etc., yet a PET scan (for growing lung nodules) showed a uterine problem which prompted a biopsy. I was told 3 days ago I have high grade endometrial adenocarcinoma - grade 3. I am totally shocked and still in disbelief. I saw my gynecologist 3 months ago for yearly exam. No problems, yet it's a grade 3. Total hysterectomy to be scheduled next week with radiation. I would love to hear of others with grade 3, how long ago, how much radiation and any other treatment.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had spotting in July, Pap test was inconclusive and told not to worry. I wouldn't take inconclusive as a diagnosis. Months went by with two other tests that were inconclusive and still told not to worry. I went for D&C and endometrial cancer was found. I went to an oncologist for second opinion and had surgery in December. Prognosis is excellent. Never accept "don't worry as a diagnosis!" We have to be our own advocate regarding our healthcare and ask questions. We know when something is "just not right".

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have just met with my gynecologist after having been on the waiting list for 27 months. She indicated my symptoms don't match my cysts, fibroids or menopause and requested she do a biopsy to which I declined having heard the horror stories. I'm now booked in and with two weeks for surgery, a D and C with a biopsy. I have had many symptoms over the 17 months, chronic fatigue, bleeding, having shedding of the lining of my womb, and having a ferritin count of 7. I have a bloated stomach, heartburn, and weight gain and was under the misconception cancer would cause weight loss and make you frail. I'm hoping I do not have cancer, I have a five year old and am a single parent, the last thing I need is illness of any kind.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?