Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma in May 2008. I initially had bladder problems, so I had an ultrasound that found a large fibroid. The gynecologist wanted to monitor it for three months before taking further action. However, the heavy bleeding and pain became too much. I was admitted to the hospital and had an exploratory operation. The samples were sent off for analysis and a diagnosis of uterine cancer was confirmed. I had a total hysterectomy a couple of weeks later, taking out the ovaries, and cervix too. As the tumor had “split,” the doctor recommended radiotheraphy to kill off any escaped cells. I have recovered well from the hysterectomy and am now awaiting further treatment. I am age 49 and have had children so losing these organs was not a problem physically, but emotionally it has been a challenge.

Comment from: Cy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 63 and was just diagnosed with uterine cancer. This was the result of vaginal bleeding that was checked out. I am stage I. I will have a robotic hysterectomy in two weeks. I am not looking forward to this, but I don"t need my uterus, etc. any more. I will not have chemotherapy or radiation because it is too destructive. I will have a natural cure (in case it has moved to another part of my body).

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with endometrial adenocarcinoma last July and had a radical hysterectomy. It was a grade 1, stage 1B. I had the surgery on Friday July 11th and was home again on Monday, July 14. I was not high-risk and always ate well. I went to the gym three or four times a week, so it was all a tremendous shock. I have been fine ever since, but of course, I do worry about recurrence. Sometimes things get on top of me, but I try not to worry. My advice is to eat well, exercise well, and try not to think about it. And always report any symptoms as soon as they appear.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I am 55 years old, and I was just diagnosed with uterine cancer. I will go to the oncologist in April for scheduling of a total hysterectomy and whatever treatments are prescribed. I am scared to death, but I need to get things taken care of ASAP. My diagnosis was one year after my oldest daughter's cervical cancer. Wow, what a blow, but we have each other for support. God bless all women who go through this mess.

Comment from: marywel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

The uterine biopsy showed atypical cells. I had two done in July and August. I also have metabolic syndrome, PCOS, and a huge hernia among other maladies. I was sent for a CT scan and ultrasound along with blood work and chest X-ray. The CT scan results showed nothing remarkable except it actually said "history of uterine cancer," which jolted me and obviously was more severe than "atypical cells." I had surgery (hysterectomy and hernia repair) on Nov. 26 -- everything was removed. Pathology showed only two small areas of pre-cancerous cells, so I was very fortunate. The incision looked good, they said, and I was able to urinate and move my bowels before leaving the hospital. My main discomfort now seems to be something internal at the bottom of my abdomen, like a burning sticking awfully intense pain that feels as if I'm being torn apart as someone pours grit and salt into the open wound. I'm told I'm healing well and there are no gaps in the incisions. Staples were removed this past Thursday. I still need help getting in and out of bed, but for the most part, I'm moving pretty well on my own. Hopefully, this severe burning pain will stop soon. I'm 57, so there apparently is no need for HRT.

Comment from: KCChession, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 36 years old. In June of 2008, my OBGYN found a polyp on my cervix. After doing additional scans, he also found one on my uterus. In October of 2008, he did bladder surgery and removed the polyps for biopsy. They were OK; however, the cells that were scraped around the polyps came back as pre-cancerous. I was advised that I did not have cancer but had two options: a radical D&C (which technically had already been done) or a partial hysterectomy. (Because he did not feel it was cancer, and because of my age, my ovaries were left to prevent early menopause.) Since I have a history of cancer (thyroid cancer in 2006), I did not hesitate for the hysterectomy, which was performed in November of 2008. Even though we have struggled to get pregnant for a total of about eight years, we did have children. Even after the surgery, I was told there did not appear to be cancer. Well, it was. The biopsy confirmed it. Luckily, it was contained. Recently, I had a third surgery on Dec. 30, 2008 to remove my ovaries, tubes, and lymph nodes. I am feeling OK but do not have results yet for the lymph-node testing. Additional treatment may be needed. I just thank God every day that I did not hesitate to have the hysterectomy because if I had waited in the hopes of having another baby, it may have been too late.

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?