Patient Comments: Uterine Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with uterine cancer.

Comment from: Traceylee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 42 years old and was diagnosed with uterine cancer in February of 2009, which was discovered while seeing a fertility specialist to get pregnant. I already have three children, but I am in a relationship with a man who has not had children. I am told it is grade 1, which has mature and slow-growing cells. So, there is little risk in putting off having the hysterectomy if we wish to pursue trying to conceive. I am awaiting an MRI and CT scan that may help with the decision-making process. What a rollercoaster of emotions!

Comment from: msanders5481, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 27 years old. My only risk factors are that I am a white female. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer on 06/06/07. I started chemo that day and will have my last treatment this month. I also had a complete hysterectomy, which is what the doctor said was best for long-term remission. I just keep my fingers crossed and pray and thank God every day. My best advice is eat right, exercise, find something that relaxes you, and maintain a good attitude; it will help you heal much better, and it feels better being cheerful instead of dwelling on “why me?” Remember, who would you really wish this on? Keep in mind, "What doesn't destroy me only makes me stronger!"

Comment from: NE female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 49 years old and was diagnosed this summer with endometrial cancer. I sought an evaluation because I had been bleeding for three weeks. I had a total hysterectomy and the pathology report indicated that it was contained in the endometrium. It took a good five to seven weeks to rest before I returned to work. No further treatment (chemo/radiation) was needed. I just went back for my four-month check-up and they thought I was doing fine. I feel fortunate to have the positive prognosis. I am thinking of all of you who are dealing with the same diagnosis. May you have the support and good medical care you need. I continue to worry about the possibility of a reoccurrence down the road, but I hope that it is over.

Comment from: laura9, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer Dec. 28, 2007. I was 45 years old. I had a total hysterectomy on Jan. 14, 2008 followed by 28 external radiation treatments and two internal treatments. My cancer was stage I, grade III. What bothered me is that I always had yearly pap smears and had one in April of 2007 that told my doctor I was experiencing heavier bleeding than usual. They checked me for anemia, and that was it. I took it upon myself to get a second opinion a few months later and thankfully this doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound and found the sarcoma. I thought I was starting menopause! Boy was I wrong! But I was also very lucky! I've been cancer-free for one year, and my prognosis is very good.

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer when she was 37. She underwent a complete hysterectomy. We celebrated her 70th birthday this year. The only risk factor she had was being Caucasian. You truly never know. My sister is 37 and I am 48; we have both had pre-cancerous pap smears and both have had elective hysterectomies.

Published: July 28

I have been misdiagnosed with cervical cancer. After meeting with my oncologist and having exploratory surgery it is now diagnosed as Uterine Cancer, Stomach and going into part of my lymphatic system. I am in stage IV and my Doctor told me this is a very aggressive cancer, and if I do not choose treatment I have only a month to live. If the chemo works, I have surgery in 3 mos. and possibly 3-5 years. I don't get how I could have only had it for about a month? I eat healthy and I am only 46. All articles states the age for this type of cancer is 55-70 year olds. This all started just on July 10th when my pap smear came back from pathologist as positive for cervical cancer and it's not cervical. I feel like a lab rat, and I'm frightened.

Published: July 23

I was diagnosed with uterine sarcoma in June after first undergoing a D&C to remove a polyp. I was having irregular and very heavy bleeding. My gynecologist assured me the polyp was nothing to worry about. After removal and testing though, it came back as malignant. He immediately scheduled an appointment for me with a gynecological oncologist. I thank him every day for that. I had a hysterectomy the next week. The polyp was contained. I did undergo 5 weeks of radiation therapy. So far, so good. On my last visit in April of this year, his nurse told me that I was a miracle. Normally this type will reoccur. It has been four years now and I am doing great. I still worry about it but I am just thankful for everyday that I am here. Janna

Uterine Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for uterine cancer? Please share your concerns.
Uterine Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of uterine cancer?
Uterine Cancer - Stages Question: At what stage was uterine cancer diagnosed in you, a friend, or relative?
Uterine Cancer - Symptoms Question: What signs and symptoms did you experience with your uterine cancer?