Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?

Comment from: Kelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

D-Mannose and Oreganol P73 from North American Herb and Spice (NAHS) are helpful in treating a urinary tract infection. The first helps keep E. coli from sticking to the bladder wall. The second is a mild antibiotic for E. coli and other bacteria. The effective part of cranberry is the D-Mannose sugar in it. It is far more effective to buy the D-Mannose, which is concentrated, and take it than to buy the cranberry juice or capsules.

Comment from: lbird, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 01

By accident I found that if I drink 2 glasses of water, get into the hot tub, keep submerged at least to waist level for 20 min, then immediately urinate (the urine will be hot!) that takes care of a caught-early urinary tract infection (UTI) for me.

Comment from: Aunt Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My nurse has me eating pineapple and drinking pineapple juice while I am experiencing a recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI).

Comment from: salarmst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had UTIs (urinary tract infection) for about 5 years. Antibiotics cleared it up but it kept recurring. I cut sugar out of my diet (the obvious sugars) and had not had one for over a year, now with the holidays and getting lax with my diet I have one starting up, so no more sugar. You would be surprised at how much better you will feel without so much white stuff in your diet but it's not easy. I will be drinking lots of water.

Comment from: lindaS., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

For 30 years I was treated regularly for bladder infection with antibiotics, and until recently, no doctor had noticed that my urine culture showed no bacteria. And now I hear that I have interstitial cystitis (also recognized on Google as bladder inflammation, hypersensitive bladder or painful bladder syndrome), not bladder infection at all (and in fact, some of the treatments for bladder infection make my problem worse). With this new knowledge, the last time I had a severe attack, I took Chinese herbs and went on a juice fast for three days and I didn't have to take antibiotics at all. I now understand the role of histamines in my diet and have changed what I eat and drink and I'm feeling much better. I'm on homeopathic medicine daily and think now that I may not have to take antibiotics any more. It had worried me that I'd taken so many of them. So I'm suggesting that anyone with repeated bladder 'infections' make sure they are treating the right condition. I wish I'd known about this many years ago.

Comment from: Dakota, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I've used baking soda for urinary tract infection, 1 tsp in warm water.

Comment from: Marjoram, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

First prevention is better than cure so always empty bladder before and after intercourse. Gentle sex and only when ready (relaxed) for it. (so-called Honeymoon cystitis is caused by rushed, bruising sex) Drink lots of water or cups of tea every day. Cranberry tablets every day too and double dose if any sensation of cystitis. Wee frequently and never be in a situation where you have to hold it for long. Barley water is said to be good for cystitis as it's fairly alkaline.

Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?