Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?

Comment from: shirleybird, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have used D Mannose powder to treat UTI with excellent results. My stomach doesn't tolerate antibiotics well, so found this treatment on the Internet. I also had to buy it on the Internet, but some health food stores carry it. I recommend the powder over the capsules. You may want to research the dosage and for more info on how it works, but I used 1 teaspoon in a beverage every 4 hours for several days...and decreased the dosage after a week or so. This works if the infection is caused by e. coli, I understand, so if it doesn't help after a couple days, I would go to the doctor. It can be pricey, but worth it in my opinion!

Comment from: Nurse 47, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I had UTI's for years, sometimes 6 times a year and always very painful. I have not had one for about 10 years now and all I do is whenever I can, I use the toilet for a bowel mmovement in the morning BEFORE I shower. If I find I need to go again later in the day I always clean myself (most often I use unscented wipes). It's really no secret, just personal hygiene. You may prefer to shower but sometimes this is not practical. These practices ensure that if you are sexually active there is minimal E Coli bacteria in the genital area. Try it, it works for me and others I have told!

Published: September 17

i have been getting UTI's lately and I'm not sure why, especially since I have no real history of it. I was told to try D Mannose, along with cranberry tablets, which worked very well for me. I was told the bacteria can only survive within a narrow PH range, so if you make your urine more acidic, with cranberry, or more alkaline, it will help get rid of it.

Comment from: Amber, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My daughter is 8 years old and she keeps getting UTIs (urinary tract infections) every 4 or so weeks, or less. It's always having to go to the emergency room because we don't have a family doctor. I give her one cranberry pill a day when she gets it but she says it only lasts a while, then that's when we end up going to the doctor.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Antibiotics is the only thing that works for me. I have kidney disease and am on dialysis, so I get it frequently.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had UTI (urinary tract infection) since May. I have been put on oral antibiotics but nothing works. Then I was put on IV antibiotics and I still have the infection the day after 5 days of IV treatment. Blood and urine were tested and I still had infection.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

There is an over the counter med called Uristat that works fast for the pain. But it won't cure the infection.

Comment from: Felice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I will take 2 cranberry pills a day, everyday and my probiotic and keep drinking water!!

Comment from: Coqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I take cranberry pills as a preventative (one a day) against UTIs. When I start having symptoms (which is usually every couple of months and has been going on for 20 years), I start taking a couple of cranberry pills every half hour until the symptoms disappear, or if I want a faster relief, I take Cipro twice a day for five days. I would love for these to be gone forever or to know other things I could do to prevent them.

Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?