Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I'm 72 and have had problems with my urinary tract for most of my life. Finally I found a urologist who was able to fix this problem. She prescribed doxycycline 50mg every night for about 8 weeks. The problem resolved itself after this treatment. I have a supply of doxycycline that I can take if I have any recurrences, which so far has only happened one time, and I don't know why it happened. I started back on the doxycycline every night for 10 days, and I am now feeling fine. I believe my problem is more of a urethral inflammation that turns into a bladder irritation and it is very uncomfortable and makes me very anxious. I'm glad I finally went to the right doctor who figured out what to do for me. She also prescribed cranberry capsules every day

Published: October 06

the best thing that works for me is Bactrim. I get UTIs very badly and that takes it away in 1 day or less. Very effective.

Comment from: maggie, 75 or over Female Published: March 22

I have been plagued with bladder infections now for a number of years. For awhile I was having one every two to three months. I was taking antibiotics pretty regularly and not liking to do so. I also was put in the hospital for a severe allergic reaction on one of those antibiotics. This is what has been working for me: AZO Cranberry Pills. I started buying the one that includes the Vitamin C and the probiotics (it is important to buy the one that contains these). I take two after breakfast and two before bedtime with a full glass of water. I have to take this longer than with an antibiotic -maybe 10 days- but I guarantee this gets rid of my bladder infection and now I only have one or two infections a year. No more antibiotics! I now, always, have AZO on hand. Hope this helps.

Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?