Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?

Comment from: Ash, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

It is 6 a.m., and I have been up since 3 a.m. with this UTI. I am 21 years old and have had UTI occurrences since I was 15. It has become worse over the last six months. For me, antibiotics work; however, I feel that I need something that will last longer. I can't keep running to the doctor every four weeks. Levaquin is great, but it takes too long. Sometimes my doctor gives me a shot right away, which relieves pain fast.

Comment from: utilaidmelow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Felt great pressure in my pelvic area. I felt the need to urinate twice in an hour and I felt the pressure to go, then when I went, there was hardly any urine. I was constantly drinking fluids. It felt like gas and I was constipated for a week. During my cycle, over a 48 hour period, I was in so much pain on my lower right side front and back that I thought a cyst had burst in my fallopian tube. I had to take Vicodin to ease the pain and put me to sleep. Took a hot bath and vomited. I had never had a UTI so was unsure of what could be wrong. My blood pressure spiked to 170/97 and I don't have HBP, so it was strange. Plus I had a headache on one side of my head. I finally went to emergency room and they gave me pain meds and antibiotics for three days. I am amazed that I didn't have a stroke. The pain over 48 hours in my abdomen was worse than giving birth. I thought I would die and not be able to endure that pain. Normally I drink cranberry juice daily, it's my favorite drink. I went without it for about two weeks and look what happened. I drank water, a few sodas, grape juice, apple juice and orange juice instead. From now on back to cranberry juice, I believe that has kept me from getting UTIs all of these years.

Comment from: catfreak, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

In the last six months, I have suffered through two bouts with a UTI. The first was treated effectively with Cipro, however, the Cipro was extremely hard on my stomach. Number two was treated with Bactrim and seems to have cured the infection for several months now.

Comment from: rcrossett, 45-54 Female Published: June 14

Someone at work told me to put a teaspoon of cream of tartar in just a few inches of water and drink it a couple times a day for just a couple of days the next time I got a UTI and I did. It really works, but I don't know why.

Comment from: Sofi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Lemon juice is quite effective in curing UTI. Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to 8 oz of water and drink it. Do this 3 to 4 times a day. It will cure UTI. Lemon juice acidifies urine and gets rid of bacteria.

Comment from: finally gone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had UTIs for 6 months in a row. The doctor kept giving me antibiotics, and those were messing my body up even further. I began researching myself online and really paying attention to what was coming into contact with my groin area. I changed soaps to organic, changed undies to all cotton, began wearing deodorant in the thigh crease, and nothing worked. Then I changed condoms to a spermicide-free variety, and they have not recurred! I must allergic to the spermicide, or whatever. To think all those months of antibiotics and visits to the doctor, and in the end I had to figure it out myself.

Comment from: Samantha Jones, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have been suffering with UTIs for the past year. Over the years I have kept quiet about the infections and was a little embarrassed. Since seeing a consultant, I feel a lot happier in myself and am starting to get my life back on track. I am on another course of antibiotics now and things seem to be improving.

Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?