Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?

Comment from: kaitlyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had UTI's in the past; it seems that my mom, sister and I are prone to getting them. They're always extremely painful. The last time I had one was after I had sex with my boyfriend, I always urinate after sex and keep myself clean, so I didn't understand why I was having UTI symptoms: frequent and strong urge to urinate, burning upon urination with only a few drops, and the pain would get so bad after urination that I could barely stand, I tried everything from a hot bath to a cool cloth to chugging a whole bottle of cranberry juice! It didn't help; I was stuck in the bathroom for days. I went to the doctor and they tested me for UTI and Bacterial Vaginosis, I was showing no symptoms of BV, no abnormal smell and only a slight discharge but nothing out of the ordinary. Even so, I tested positive for BV and not a UTI. I took the medicine and recovered. More than a year later, after having a new boyfriend for that year, we separated and I had an encounter with the previous boy, the symptoms started again, I took AZO standard pills to ease the pain until my dr's visit, when I got there I tested negative for UTI and positive for BV again. This time they gave me antibiotics for both and it seemed to go away. However, a month later, the symptoms are back. They never fully went away, but I ran out of antibiotics so I figured I was better. But I'm still stuck in the bathroom, this time crying uncontrollably. I still don't know what is wrong with me.

Comment from: Nancy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been suffering from burning urine, abdominal pains and back pain since 1998. I get recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) twice a month on average or more often if my sex partner is in town. I have tried all the remedies and know almost all the antibiotics that treat UTIs. My body cannot take anymore pills, it's like I have been drugging myself.

Comment from: ibkval, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I experienced pain while urinating.

Comment from: elderly lady , 81, Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had one not long ago and now again. I suffer from a prolapse of the vagina, bladder and bowel and have diverticulitis which I think contributes since everything is so closely associated. I use baby wipes but it hasn't helped.

Comment from: gigo, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

Unbearable pain when I went to the bathroom. I wanted to scream the pain was so bad. I also had blood in my urine, chills, fever, sweats, no energy, didn't want to eat and just wanted to stay in bed with my electric blanket on. I knew I had to go to the doctor when I saw the blood. This really scared me as I have never had this in a bladder infection before.

Comment from: eighthrose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

The burning feeling after urinating sucks! Somehow I managed by squeezing my muscles tight right before the last few drops. It seems weird but it actually felt like I felt less pain than just letting the urine slide out at the end. Also, I had loads of water and cranberry juice (not cocktail). I've read on medical websites that drinking water would make the urine less concentrated and that the cranberry juice is acidic which would help to get release the bacteria off of the walls.

Comment from: bernadette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had pain in the back and pain in the lower abdomen. I was very nauseated, lightheaded, and I was urinating frequently.

Comment from: lilmomma292011, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

With my UTI, I feel like I have to go all the time, but when I get to the bathroom, nothing happens.

Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?