Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?

A Doctor's View on Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

For someone who is experiencing a urinary tract infection (UTI) for the first time (or if it has been a while since they have had one), the symptoms can be frightening. On the other hand, some people with a urinary tract infection may not experience any symptoms at all. In general, the most common symptoms of a urinary tract infection involve the process of urination. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: IpeeWithoutPain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been dealing with urinary tract infection (UTI) ever since I was in my early 20s. It didn't matter how clean or how much I made sure I urinated after sex, I always got some type of UTI symptoms that required me to get some type of UTI treatment. I can't remember the number of times that I have had to take antibiotics because it feels like it's a monthly procedure and most of the time, it was the only way I got UTI relief. I had to figure out a way to not have to go the emergency room so much. It was getting very expensive. So I looked into taking something that would at make sure that my body wasn't getting worse while I waited for an appointment that usually took about two weeks. I tried a product called Cystex that had cranberry pills that really helped me to get to those doctor appointments. It got rid of the burning and pain and made sure that wasn't in a worse condition when I finally got there. Please, in my experience, make sure you take something if you aren't going to the doctor right away.

Comment from: NormaJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I started feeling bad on Tuesday with pain under my breast and in the middle. I thought it might be gallbladder. I was not able to get to my doctor until Thursday as he is off on Wednesday and I did not want to go to the hospital. So I went on Thursday to see my doctor and I was told he was running three hours behind. I said no, I can't wait that long so I went to the hospital. They got me right in! They did a urine test and said I had a urinary tract infection and my urine was very dark. They put me on Cipro, and I finally slept last night but I still have no energy.

Comment from: Niki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been suffering from urinary tract infection and cystitis since I was 19 when I was student. I stayed in hospital for few days, the E. coli bacteria was the cause of it. They gave me antibiotics and since then I have had this problem at least 100 times (2 to 6 times yearly). It is an awful unbearable pain after urinating and it lasts from 3 to 10 days. I have never seen blood though. I have seen several doctors, sometimes there was the E. coli, sometimes there was no bacteria at all although I was in pain. Doctors always are giving me antibiotics (Septrin, Bactrimel, Ciproxin, etc.) which do not always work. I have noticed that taking antibiotics or not, the infection lasts the same period and symptoms slow down after few days. I have tried all type of medicine and natural treatments with no results (I am informed of all details about this disease and I take all protection to avoid it). So far my mother was also in the same pain all her life and I definitely think it may also be inheritable.

Comment from: CarlyD, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) about 3 days ago and I am on ciprofloxacin pills. For symptoms I get stomach pain, blood when I urinate and I have to go a lot more than usual. I have an idea about the symptoms because I've had 4 or 5 urinary infections by now. I'm on around 7 daily pills for medical conditions but the doctor said those have nothing to do with bringing anything on. I never had one of these infections until after taking all the pills. I try the best I can with bathroom hygiene but maybe some people get UTIs more than others, who knows. Best of luck everyone!

Comment from: Feelingill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

With urinary tract infection I am having pain and blood when I urinate.

Comment from: pinogilr87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have been struggling with urinary tract infections (UTIs) since I was 18 years old and the Lady Soma cranberry pills work faster than other products to relieve the pain with my UTIs. I use this while I am waiting to get in to see the doctor to relieve my pain and/or while I am waiting the antibiotics to start working which usually takes anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. This stuff helps to alleviate the pain (burning, urgency, etc.) associated with UTIs within 20 to 40 minutes of taking the pills.

Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?