Patient Comments: Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?

Comment from: Niki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been suffering from urinary tract infection and cystitis since I was 19 when I was student. I stayed in hospital for few days, the E. coli bacteria was the cause of it. They gave me antibiotics and since then I have had this problem at least 100 times (2 to 6 times yearly). It is an awful unbearable pain after urinating and it lasts from 3 to 10 days. I have never seen blood though. I have seen several doctors, sometimes there was the E. coli, sometimes there was no bacteria at all although I was in pain. Doctors always are giving me antibiotics (Septrin, Bactrimel, Ciproxin, etc.) which do not always work. I have noticed that taking antibiotics or not, the infection lasts the same period and symptoms slow down after few days. I have tried all type of medicine and natural treatments with no results (I am informed of all details about this disease and I take all protection to avoid it). So far my mother was also in the same pain all her life and I definitely think it may also be inheritable.

Comment from: CarlyD, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) about 3 days ago and I am on ciprofloxacin pills. For symptoms I get stomach pain, blood when I urinate and I have to go a lot more than usual. I have an idea about the symptoms because I've had 4 or 5 urinary infections by now. I'm on around 7 daily pills for medical conditions but the doctor said those have nothing to do with bringing anything on. I never had one of these infections until after taking all the pills. I try the best I can with bathroom hygiene but maybe some people get UTIs more than others, who knows. Best of luck everyone!

Comment from: Feelingill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

With urinary tract infection I am having pain and blood when I urinate.

Comment from: PitBullLover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I recently was in the hospital with urinary tract infection (UTI). I had no pain or any kind of symptom except for having a slight fever for a few hours. That happened a week apart from each other. When I did start feeling bad I just wanted to sleep, I was sweating so bad that my clothes and my sheets were soaked. My husband and son tried to wake me and couldn't at first so I was taken to the hospital. By the time I got there I was already 80 percent dehydrated, my kidneys were shutting down and I was told that I was talking gibberish, making no sense at all. I spent 4 days in the hospital. I was diagnosed with UTI that spread to my bloodstream. If my husband and son had not gotten me to the hospital when they did, there is a good chance I would not be here typing this right now. What gets me, though, is how I got so sick with no symptoms to speak of! If it happens again, how will I know unless I have the symptoms everyone here has talked about!

Comment from: shyam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

My urinary tract infection symptoms are urinary burning pain and blood in urine.

Comment from: Mommy0f3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had laparoscopic removal of fallopian tubes and right ovary 12 days ago. I have increased urination, abdominal cramps, fatigue, and no appetite. I am wondering why the doctor ordered ultrasound rather than just give antibiotics.

Comment from: herbie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I had lots of fatigue with my urinary tract infection, but no pain and no temperature.

Comment from: Jamie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I experienced lower back pain and vaginal discharge with reddish brown spots when I had urinary tract infection.

Urinary Tract Infections - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with urinary tract infections.
Urinary Tract Infections - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in treating a urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infections - Medications Question: What medications have been effective in treating a urinary tract infection?