Patient Comments: Urinary Retention - Diagnosis

Diagnosing urinary retention often includes several tests. Please describe your experience and the types of tests.

Comment from: soulguy10306, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have suffered from AUR (acute urinary retention) for the past year and a half due to BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). I have had a Foley catheter inserted on numerous occasions; the last being for a five week period. This was also due to my TUNA (transurethral needle ablation - Prostiva) procedure from last summer. The catalysts which caused me to suffer urinary retention was my taking of sinus medication and / or cold medications. I was told that I can never take any of these medications for the rest of my life. If you have any symptoms of enlarged prostate, do not take anything for a cold or sinus condition. If you cannot sleep do not take Tylenol pm, etc. Take it from me!

Urinary Retention - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with urinary retention.
Urinary Retention - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your urinary retention?
Urinary Retention - Treatment Question: Please discuss the treatment(s) you have received for urinary retention.
Urinary Retention - Complications Question: Have you had any complications associated with urinary retention? Please share your experience.