Patient Comments: Urinary Retention - Causes

If known, what is the cause of your urinary retention?

Comment from: katy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I hysterectomy in 2007, when the doctor, while doing surgery nicked my bladder and did not say a word. I had to get my bladder repaired 30 days later but wore catheter during that time. Now I have to go to a urogynocologist because now my bladder won't empty, they said it was tied too tight or something.

Comment from: Popa Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

Not listed is bladder retention caused by Parkinson's disease. I had a doctor say that my retention could be caused by my Parkinson's or by my type 2 diabetes. However, I cannot find any reference to not being able to void due to diabetes, and I have to go more often due to this condition.

Urinary Retention - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with urinary retention.
Urinary Retention - Treatment Question: Please discuss the treatment(s) you have received for urinary retention.
Urinary Retention - Complications Question: Have you had any complications associated with urinary retention? Please share your experience.
Urinary Retention - Diagnosis Question: Diagnosing urinary retention often includes several tests. Please describe your experience and the types of tests.