Patient Comments: Urinary Retention - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with urinary retention.

Comment from: T Roth, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

It was strange. I went to the bathroom and relieved myself with no problem. The next time I had to go nothing happened. I began to feel pain so I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with acute urinal retention. I was given a catheter to relieve my bladder. I am waiting to go back for follow up. Dealing with a range of emotions right now. I had not shown any symptoms until I was just unable to go. I was given Flomax to help with the problem.

Comment from: NONE, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 22

My bladder problems began about 25 years ago, now I still have bladder retention and have to catheterize 5-6 times a night. It has made me depressed and heavy on hydrocodone and Xanax. The urologist says only catheterizing myself will work.

Comment from: eddiegadget, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I was diagnosed with kidney stones before and had one too large to pass. I had the procedure and was put on meds and was fine for about 3 months. I then got this Intense burning in the groin area and back pain. I also had a bloated stomach and vomiting, nausea and was diagnosed with urinary retention and an enlarged prostate.

Urinary Retention - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your urinary retention?
Urinary Retention - Treatment Question: Please discuss the treatment(s) you have received for urinary retention.
Urinary Retention - Complications Question: Have you had any complications associated with urinary retention? Please share your experience.
Urinary Retention - Diagnosis Question: Diagnosing urinary retention often includes several tests. Please describe your experience and the types of tests.