- Urinary Incontinence in Women Slideshow
- Urinary Incontinence in Men Slideshow
- Food & Drinks That Make You Gotta Go Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Urinary Incontinence in Women - Experience
- Patient Comments: Urinary Incontinence in Women - Treatment
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Quick GuideUrinary Incontinence in Women Pictures Slideshow
Points to remember
- Urinary incontinence is common in women.
- All types of urinary incontinence are treatable.
- Incontinence is treatable at all ages.
- You need not be embarrassed by incontinence.
Hope through research
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has many research programs aimed at finding treatments for urinary disorders, including urinary incontinence. The NIDDK is sponsoring the Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network (UITN), a consortium of urologists and urogynecologists who are evaluating and comparing treatment methods for stress and mixed incontinence in women. The goal of the first study, completed in 2007, was to learn which treatment methods have the best short- and long-term outcomes for treating stress urinary incontinence in women. Ongoing studies focus on treatments for urge incontinence and minimally invasive treatments for stress incontinence.
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development also supports research in the area of pelvic health. The Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) was formed in 2001 to do research to improve the care and daily lives of women with pelvic organ prolapse and bladder and bowel control problems. For more information about the PFDN, please visit www.nichd.nih.gov/research/supported/pelvicfloor.cfm.
The U.S. Government does not endorse or favor any specific commercial product or company. Trade, proprietary, or company names appearing in this document are used only because they are considered necessary in the context of the information provided. If a product is not mentioned, the omission does not mean or imply that the product is unsatisfactory.