Patient Comments: Urinary Incontinence - Causes in Men

What was the cause of urinary incontinence in you or a male friend or relative?

Comment from: Codger Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I have found that my urinary problems diminished substantially when I eliminated soy from my diet. Along with this, I have no longer have chronic hoarseness. I doubt that eliminating soy is an answer for the majority of people, but it has made a big difference for me. Anyone deciding to try this will have to read food labels religiously, because soy ingredients are used in almost all bakery goods and in many other types of foods. In restaurants, you will find that allergen menus have very few soy-free options.

Comment from: The Guy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I am now 70 years old and I have developed urinary incontinence. Once I feel the urge to urinate it does not give me time to go to the bath room. As far as I remember in my young age I was not good enough to hold my urine, but not so much as the problem I have now. This problem happens gradually. I don't drink water regularly. I don't drink soda, I sometimes drink beer. I never had any kind of health issue, except now I have developed cholesterol and I am taking medication on regular basis, simvastatin 40 mg and for arthritis I take leflunomide 10 mg and prednisone 5 mg. I go to the bath room every 30 to 60 minutes day time and maybe 3 times night time. The reason for the problem I feel is that I sit long hours in a car because of my job's nature, limo driver. I cannot avoid that. I am still very active in all aspects, I walk fast, I swim, and physical functions still intact. New life style is I have become a coffee drinker which I never had before. I have been consuming soy milk a lot but now I stopped and substituted it with almond milk. And that is all for my coffee because I don't take dairy products during my fasting period. Now I feel that it is a concern. Thank you.

Urinary Incontinence - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication and lifestyle changes, have you used for urinary incontinence?
Urinary Incontinence - Kegel Exercises Question: How often do you perform Kegel exercises to prevent/treat urinary incontinence?