Patient Comments: Urethral Stricture - Treatment

What kinds of treatment (medications or surgery) did you receive for your urethral stricture?

Comment from: shashank, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have undergone dilation of urethra done under local anesthesia for around 3 years and then have been on self-dilation for 10 years. Then I have undergone buccal mucosa augmenting surgery. Since the last six years the frequency of dilation has been once in 3 months. No permanent cure appears to be in store.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: mahesh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I have this problem of urethral stricture for the last 7 years, and the doctor suggested an operation but I didn't and started using homeopathic medicine. It gives some sort of relief but no permanent cure. The thing is that it's not the same every time when I pass urine, sometime it is normal and sometime it is more painful. I wondered and still I am not able to take the decision that what we should do whether go for operation or use of homeopathic medicine oar Unani medicine. When it is painful it irritates so much.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: bmx bandit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I crushed the urethral passage at 16 on a bike. I have had 7 dilations over the years with little success. I left it unchecked for 10 years till unable to cope, and my body grew a massive diverticulum in the tube between kidneys and bladder, so now I'm catheterizing twice daily with no help in sight.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

The treatment is urethral dilatation, and then I had a catheter for 10 days. After a month of having the first dilatation, I began to experience the same symptoms (pain when urinating, decreased stream while urinating), and then I had my second dilatation. My doctor found out I was worse than the first time. Now I have to self-dilatate every single day.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ReliefNow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I had surgery to remove the scar tissue and I had the dilation in office procedure done. I always need to have a cystoscopy to see the status of the stricture.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Urethral Stricture - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms associated with and complications of your urethral stricture.
Urethral Stricture - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a urethral stricture.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors