Patient Comments: Urethral Stricture - Diagnosis

Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a urethral stricture.

Comment from: Freeby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Christmas 2009 I was given a radical prostatectomy and a catheter was left in for a number of weeks. When the catheter was removed it was unknown to the nurse that my urethral tube had grafted itself onto the catheter and when the catheter was quickly pulled out my urethral internal tube was ripped in three places along my penis. I have had strictures for the last 5 years where I have had to have the urethral tube widened on several occasions as the tube wants to close itself up for repairs. I have for the last 4 years been self-catheterizing myself to urinate properly. I am so tired of being in the right spot at the right time with the right equipment to relieve myself. My son had stents used to keep arteries open during his bout of cancer and I am thinking that there must be something similar for urethral injury. The operation in 2009 also left me impotent but we have found a solution for that problem.

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had 5 incidents of urethral stricture, from about the age of 35. Each time it has involved a decreasing urine flow that occurred over a number of hours and got to the point that I couldn't urinate at all. Recognizing the problem each time I've gone to emergency but was not treated in time and needed to have the bladder punctured with a syringe through the abdomen to relieve the pressure. With each of the first 3 incidents I was told that it was because of an enlarged prostate but was finally diagnosed with a stricture. The 4th time I was operated on (while conscious) and had some of the structure removed by an operation that did not involve opening up the penis. One year later and it has reoccurred. It was not a total emergency situation as I was having regular flow rate checks. But after 18 months the doctor thought it was best to catheterize me again (with a bag) for a month. He is reluctant to do a urethra reconstruction (as am I) and from today I now have to self-catheterize twice a day to keep the urethra dilated. I am not sure I can do this indefinitely.

Comment from: Suthard, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed this past year with a tipped right kidney caused by childbirth. The urethral stricture first showed up in my 20s. I don"t have bladder infections, very rarely, but many RBC cells show up in my urine. At times I have edema, and was also diagnosed with spinal cord injuries in the neck, C4 and C7. I have dilations every now and then per insurance allowance. I experience nausea sometimes in the morning.

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

The events that led to my diagnosis were recurrent urinary infections, painful urination (burning sensation), difficulty starting urine flow, and decreased urine stream. My urologist performed an endoscopy and found out my urethra was pretty much blocked by tissue.

Urethral Stricture - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms associated with and complications of your urethral stricture.
Urethral Stricture - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment (medications or surgery) did you receive for your urethral stricture?