Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?

Comment from: She, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a cold, recovered, and then went on a cruise. Twenty four hours in, I developed an itchy throat and irritating cough. I made a doctor visit to find that I had developed my 1st URI (upper respiratory tract infections). He advised me to get some OTC Delsym and he prescribed a prescription cough suppressant –benzonatate. Now after using these 2 in conjunction, 3 days later I feel significantly better. It is better to avoid work if possible as URIs are contagious and this is also the time to avoid other people's germs as well.

Comment from: Sosophisticated, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had the misfortune of dealing with this upper respiratory infection in the cold months since I was about 2 years old. I was always in and out of the hospital getting cortisone and epinephrine shots because I was so bad. For the past couple of years I have been getting my flu shot in October and I have not had a bad case of this. I am on my 2nd day of medications and it is clearing up. The only thing that will help my infection/asthma is 70 mg of prednisone tapered down for 1 week. I start feeling better after the first dose because it stops the inflammation in the bronchioles, gets rid of the mucous and I can breathe again clearly along with taking my nebulizer.

Comment from: scaredsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My URI (upper respiratory infection) started 2 weeks ago as clogged ears and a mild fever of 99.4. So I finally took some clindamycin that I had left over, (I know, very bad). My ears drained into my chest and now I feel horrible. I just rubbed some Vicks on my chest, took 2 acetaminophen. I've been drinking water like crazy. I just got some Gatorade. I haven't felt this sick in a long time. The acetaminophen stops the chest pain when you cough and gag and make wonderful noises. It is hard to sleep!

Comment from: stroud, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I actually went to the doctor for my upper respiratory infection, because my ears and throat were so painful. I only had redness and swelling in the canals of my ears, my throat was quite swollen. The doctor wrote a prescription for 800 mgs of Motrin and the pain was gone within hours. I have been sick for around 10 days, can't seem to get rid of it but going back to work today. The cough is the worst, my rib cage feels like it is being crushed.

Comment from: AMER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

This is going on 3 weeks now and it feels like my lungs are pushing the air out of my lungs without me doing anything. It is loud and hurt. I am in Peru and they are giving me Cortiprex prednisona 20 mg. zolpidem genfar 10 mg., Azitromicina 500 mg.Mucovals ( I ) 7,5 mg - 2mg/5ml . I even quit smoking. Nothing is working and it is getting worse. I can't lay down as my lung feel like they are being smashed and smashing the air out by themselves.

Comment from: yeahyeahyeah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Not too long ago, I exhibited symptoms of the flu. I had a sore throat, headaches, popping ears, and body aches. My doctor put me on amoxicillin. It worked like a charm.

Comment from: MacDeez4, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My son was given Augmentin for the infection, Allegra-D for the sinus congestion, and Proventil to help open the chest airways, all to be taken for 10 days. Two days later, I contracted the upper respiratory infection.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies Question: What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?