Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?

Comment from: Kate, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Ten days ago I breathed noxious smoke from mosquito coils. Next morning I had sore throat and chest heaviness. Third day I saw the doctor and was prescribed prednisone and asthma inhaler for the upper respiratory infection. Three days later I am coughing green/brown phlegm and nearly unable to move. Doctor prescribed Z-Pak, Perles cough syrup with codeine. I am still sick, coughing thick near colorless phlegm, tired all the time and hoping I will not always feel this way. Do not use these coils. Google search says very dangerous.

Comment from: She, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a cold, recovered, and then went on a cruise. Twenty four hours in, I developed an itchy throat and irritating cough. I made a doctor visit to find that I had developed my 1st URI (upper respiratory tract infections). He advised me to get some OTC Delsym and he prescribed a prescription cough suppressant –benzonatate. Now after using these 2 in conjunction, 3 days later I feel significantly better. It is better to avoid work if possible as URIs are contagious and this is also the time to avoid other people's germs as well.

Comment from: Sosophisticated, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had the misfortune of dealing with this upper respiratory infection in the cold months since I was about 2 years old. I was always in and out of the hospital getting cortisone and epinephrine shots because I was so bad. For the past couple of years I have been getting my flu shot in October and I have not had a bad case of this. I am on my 2nd day of medications and it is clearing up. The only thing that will help my infection/asthma is 70 mg of prednisone tapered down for 1 week. I start feeling better after the first dose because it stops the inflammation in the bronchioles, gets rid of the mucous and I can breathe again clearly along with taking my nebulizer.

Comment from: ronnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

For years I repeatedly had lung infections. I took antibiotics, which do nothing to correct the body's immune system. They tear down the digestive system, which causes asthma and upper respiratory infections (URI). I learned to take reishi, goldenseal and astragalus, plus various herbal teas, like pau d'Arco and suma. For a bad case, use colloidal silver, which I learned about from a doctor, Chinese herbalist / American herbalist / acupuncturist. You won't need a drug. I also do not take pain drugs. Allow the body to heat up to kill the germs.

Comment from: scaredsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My URI (upper respiratory infection) started 2 weeks ago as clogged ears and a mild fever of 99.4. So I finally took some clindamycin that I had left over, (I know, very bad). My ears drained into my chest and now I feel horrible. I just rubbed some Vicks on my chest, took 2 acetaminophen. I've been drinking water like crazy. I just got some Gatorade. I haven't felt this sick in a long time. The acetaminophen stops the chest pain when you cough and gag and make wonderful noises. It is hard to sleep!

Comment from: Sickofbeingsick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am so sick of being sick. Living in a homeless shelter, germs are abundant and I cannot afford any medicine. I have been hacking my brains out for the past month, and frankly, I never want to be sick again. Blech. I thought it was a cold, then bronchitis. Now I am leaning more towards an upper respiratory infection.

Comment from: stroud, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I actually went to the doctor for my upper respiratory infection, because my ears and throat were so painful. I only had redness and swelling in the canals of my ears, my throat was quite swollen. The doctor wrote a prescription for 800 mgs of Motrin and the pain was gone within hours. I have been sick for around 10 days, can't seem to get rid of it but going back to work today. The cough is the worst, my rib cage feels like it is being crushed.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies Question: What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?