Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I went to the doctor yesterday and was prescribed azithromycin and cherritussin with codeine. The cherritussin has done absolutely nothing for me, and the azithromycin has so far suppressed my need to cough. However, the back of my throat is still in horrible pain every time I swallow, which I failed to mention to the doctor. Assuming my symptoms aren't better in about a week, I'm supposed to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: Kallred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

My treatment was a prescription Z-pak. My symptoms were severe with chest pain. If my symptoms do not get better in two days, I'm supposed to go back in. At home, I've tried Robitussin cough and chest congestion along with honey and Halls cough drops. None of those worked. Also, I used ibuprofen for headaches. I drank lots of fluids and took extra vitamin C. After five days, I had to see the doctor. We will see how the Z-pak works.

Comment from: Mike Farmer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I feel like crap also, my chest hurts and my head feels funny and I have been feeling like this for two months I guess been trying to get it, been taking antibiotics, and whatever I can, and my left ear is ringing continuously, I feel like I'm going to pass out but don't, it's like halfway, especially driving and I lose all my focus in and out getting worse, cannot concentrate, feels like I lose half my vision with this. I don't know how else to explain this, I tried to tell my doctor but u know how some docs are.

Comment from: KayKay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have had this URI since the end of February. I have taken 2 different antibiotics. Which neither did anything for me. I have mucus in my chest that I can't seem to cough up and am wheezing. I have never had allergies or asthma but decided to try Zertec. I don't feel any different other than sleepy from the Zertec. I don't have a fever or a sore throat. I'm at a loss! I'm not a smoker either.

Comment from: Momof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My doctor have me Hycodan and an inhaler for my upper respiratory infection. Home remedy was hot tea and lots of rest.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: February 16

Well I am just finishing an antibiotic, which is augmentin for a sinus infection. Now a week later, I'm sneezing, exhausted, and my chest hurts and burns and sore throat drainage. I am drinking plenty of water, and taking my multi vitamin. Also, I take saline nasal spray, and zyrtec for my allergies. I can't believe I got hit with this and am already on a course of medicine. I fell horrible. I am also taking Advil cold and sinus in moderation. I have body aches with this too.

Comment from: JRFrog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My symptoms also got worse that it felt like someone was standing on my chest. I went to the doctor after 6 days and gave me a Azithromycin tablets. I think he called it a Z-pack. I am to check back if I don't improve in a few days.

Comment from: azggardner, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

In my experience you can't stop a UR infection. All you can do is treat the symptoms. I used Dayquil, NyQuil, Tylenol, Mucinex, Sudafed and cough drops. Keep in mind what does what. I did not take all of these medications every day. Just the ones I needed to treat my symptoms at the time. I also drank hot tea with honey and tons of orange juice. When I could I rested as much as possible and limited my activities. P.S. You do not need to break the bank for treatment. You can use the generic medication as long as it has the same active ingredients as the name brand ones.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies Question: What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?