Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?

Comment from: CR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been to the doctor twice. First, he said it was a sinus infection and put me on a Z-pack. Then, my fever continued and I felt worse. He said I have let it just have to runs its course. I have no energy, my eyes are going to pop out of my head, I feel dizzy, am coughing, can't eat much, and I want to take naps. I had to cancel my vacation because of this. I'm not on any medications because I have issues with them. I'm just at a loss and feel like I'm not here.

Comment from: mamaof2, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My son is 3 months old and has an upper respiratory infection. He can't breathe, I can't get the nose sucker in his nose to suction the snot out. All they gave him was saline spray.

Comment from: worriedgirl, 19-24 Female Published: February 01

I went to see my doctor yesterday. I had a chest x-ray and CBC but all of the tests came back okay as my doctor said. So she suspected O had a URI. I had asthma since I was 5. I thought it was just a simple asthma attack then, so I used a nebulizer and took carbocesteine at home at first but it didn't work. I had shortness of breath and my moves were very limited as I got easily tired and had to nebulize again and again. The chest pain came and I felt it was very difficult to expel phlegm. I felt so scared for myself. My doctor prescribed me cefuroxime and ambroxol and I have to take my symbicort again for my asthma. I will take the medications later and hope it will help and get better in days.

Comment from: madeline34, 75 or over Female Published: January 09

I have been sick for about a week and saw a doctor yesterday. She prescribed Advair, which was too expensive. So being a senior citizen, I reverted back to the way my mother used to treat our respiratory problems. I greased my chest with Vicks Vaporub, placed a towel over the greased area, buttoned up my pajamas and put a heating pad on my chest. Be careful not to burn yourself. This morning I feel so much better and have even been able to cough up small amounts of phlegm.

Comment from: Roxanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have phlegm in the back of my throat that has been there for years. I had sinus surgery but the doctor got scared when he encountered lots of blood because I was on Coumadin at the time but had been off it for 2 weeks before surgery. So he did nothing. I just got a CT scan and am waiting for results. They put me on Augmentin but I had an allergic reaction to it so then they put me on Clindamyacin for 2 weeks. All that did was give me diarrhea. I cannot take this. I choke a lot when I am trying to swallow.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I went to the doctor yesterday and was prescribed azithromycin and cherritussin with codeine. The cherritussin has done absolutely nothing for me, and the azithromycin has so far suppressed my need to cough. However, the back of my throat is still in horrible pain every time I swallow, which I failed to mention to the doctor. Assuming my symptoms aren't better in about a week, I'm supposed to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: Kallred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

My treatment was a prescription Z-pak. My symptoms were severe with chest pain. If my symptoms do not get better in two days, I'm supposed to go back in. At home, I've tried Robitussin cough and chest congestion along with honey and Halls cough drops. None of those worked. Also, I used ibuprofen for headaches. I drank lots of fluids and took extra vitamin C. After five days, I had to see the doctor. We will see how the Z-pak works.

Comment from: Mike Farmer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I feel like crap also, my chest hurts and my head feels funny and I have been feeling like this for two months I guess been trying to get it, been taking antibiotics, and whatever I can, and my left ear is ringing continuously, I feel like I'm going to pass out but don't, it's like halfway, especially driving and I lose all my focus in and out getting worse, cannot concentrate, feels like I lose half my vision with this. I don't know how else to explain this, I tried to tell my doctor but u know how some docs are.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies Question: What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?