Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?

Comment from: AMER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

This is going on 3 weeks now and it feels like my lungs are pushing the air out of my lungs without me doing anything. It is loud and hurt. I am in Peru and they are giving me Cortiprex prednisona 20 mg. zolpidem genfar 10 mg., Azitromicina 500 mg.Mucovals ( I ) 7,5 mg - 2mg/5ml . I even quit smoking. Nothing is working and it is getting worse. I can't lay down as my lung feel like they are being smashed and smashing the air out by themselves.

Comment from: MacDeez4, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My son was given Augmentin for the infection, Allegra-D for the sinus congestion, and Proventil to help open the chest airways, all to be taken for 10 days. Two days later, I contracted the upper respiratory infection.

Comment from: yeahyeahyeah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Not too long ago, I exhibited symptoms of the flu. I had a sore throat, headaches, popping ears, and body aches. My doctor put me on amoxicillin. It worked like a charm.

Comment from: CR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been to the doctor twice. First, he said it was a sinus infection and put me on a Z-pack. Then, my fever continued and I felt worse. He said I have let it just have to runs its course. I have no energy, my eyes are going to pop out of my head, I feel dizzy, am coughing, can't eat much, and I want to take naps. I had to cancel my vacation because of this. I'm not on any medications because I have issues with them. I'm just at a loss and feel like I'm not here.

Comment from: mamaof2, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My son is 3 months old and has an upper respiratory infection. He can't breathe, I can't get the nose sucker in his nose to suction the snot out. All they gave him was saline spray.

Comment from: worriedgirl, 19-24 Female Published: February 01

I went to see my doctor yesterday. I had a chest x-ray and CBC but all of the tests came back okay as my doctor said. So she suspected O had a URI. I had asthma since I was 5. I thought it was just a simple asthma attack then, so I used a nebulizer and took carbocesteine at home at first but it didn't work. I had shortness of breath and my moves were very limited as I got easily tired and had to nebulize again and again. The chest pain came and I felt it was very difficult to expel phlegm. I felt so scared for myself. My doctor prescribed me cefuroxime and ambroxol and I have to take my symbicort again for my asthma. I will take the medications later and hope it will help and get better in days.

Comment from: madeline34, 75 or over Female Published: January 09

I have been sick for about a week and saw a doctor yesterday. She prescribed Advair, which was too expensive. So being a senior citizen, I reverted back to the way my mother used to treat our respiratory problems. I greased my chest with Vicks Vaporub, placed a towel over the greased area, buttoned up my pajamas and put a heating pad on my chest. Be careful not to burn yourself. This morning I feel so much better and have even been able to cough up small amounts of phlegm.

Comment from: Roxanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have phlegm in the back of my throat that has been there for years. I had sinus surgery but the doctor got scared when he encountered lots of blood because I was on Coumadin at the time but had been off it for 2 weeks before surgery. So he did nothing. I just got a CT scan and am waiting for results. They put me on Augmentin but I had an allergic reaction to it so then they put me on Clindamyacin for 2 weeks. All that did was give me diarrhea. I cannot take this. I choke a lot when I am trying to swallow.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies Question: What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?