Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies

What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?

Comment from: Tish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

This may sound strange, but I am having upper respiratory infection for several days. I am very congested, and not on any medications, but what truly helped me expel a lot of mucus was drinking hot coffee first thing in the morning (when I felt super clogged and miserable). Try to avoid using sugar and dairy creamer, I myself use one small teaspoon of raw sugar and splash of soy creamer. Try to drink as hot as possible but so that you drink full cup before it cools. In a very short time my cough was super productive and also cleared my sinuses a lot! Gave much relief, not a cure but helps relieve miserable symptoms.

Comment from: Magical3m, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 25

I contracted this virus while on a cruise in Europe. I had all the symptoms mentioned for upper respiratory infection in addition to the worst symptom - my lungs and ears were filled with water and the noise from both of these kept me awake for one week. The coughing to relieve the water was unrelenting. I was treated with steroids, Tamiflu, nebulizer and antibiotics, and cough medicine with codeine for fever. It does affect adults. It's the worst I have ever felt.

Comment from: Big Sivad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

For reducing the symptoms of upper respiratory infection, I take wild oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, garlic and vitamin C for bowel tolerance. Then before bed I take a pro-biotic.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?