Patient Comments: Upper Respiratory Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your upper respiratory tract infection?

Comment from: Ronnie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have a respiratory infection that was so bad that it caused me to have an acute bronchitis as well. Doctors treating me were reluctant to give me an antibiotic drug but needed to kill off the infection. The antibiotic produced additional phlegm, and thus coughing, which I didn"t need more of, because the results of the coughing were chest pain. Time is the cure here, I had to take a whole week off from work. I am in strict bed rest. Hope I don't have COPD.

Comment from: Pebbles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I can deal with the runny nose, cough, headache and chest pain, but the fatigue is unbelievable. My symptoms of upper respiratory infection started 4 weeks ago, so I hope I get better soon. Steroid shot, antibiotics – Z Pak and then doxycycline, and decongestants haven"t helped at all. I am hoping that the healing process is happening but I can"t tell that it is.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I went "all natural" and used lots of Vicks VapoRub on my chest at night, gargled with warm salt water, and held a towel over my head with hot water in the sink. It works well to loosen things up. I'm also drinking lots of liquids. I mixed 1 teaspoon of honey with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon for my cough. I did all this and it still had to run its natural course – about three weeks. All this just made it tolerable without drugs.

Upper Respiratory Infection - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your upper respiratory infection?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Contagious Question: Did you know your upper respiratory infection was contagious?
Upper Respiratory Infection - Home Therapies Question: What home remedies were effective in reducing the symptoms of your upper respiratory infection?