Table of Contents
- Upper respiratory infection facts
- What is an upper respiratory infection?
- Is an upper respiratory infection contagious?
- What are the causes of upper respiratory infection?
- What are the symptoms of upper respiratory infection?
- What are the risk factors for upper respiratory infection?
- When should you seek medical care for upper respiratory infection?
- How is an upper respiratory infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for upper respiratory infection?
- What are home remedies for upper respiratory infection?
- What are some data on alternative therapies in treating upper respiratory infections?
- What are the complications of an upper respiratory infection?
- Can an upper respiratory infection be prevented?
- What is the outlook for a patient suffering from an upper respiratory infection?
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
The Common Cold
The common cold refers to a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. Characteristic symptoms of the common cold include
- stuffy or
- runny nose,
- scratchy or
- sore throat,
Quick GuideAsthma Pictures Slideshow: An Inflammatory Disorder of the Airways
Upper respiratory infection facts
- Upper respiratory infections are one of the most common reasons for doctor visits.
- Upper respiratory infections are the most common illness resulting in missed work or school.
- Upper respiratory infections can happen at any time, but are most common in the fall and winter.
- The vast majority of upper respiratory infections are caused by viruses and are self-limited.
- Symptoms of upper respiratory infection include
- Antibiotics are rarely needed to treat upper respiratory infections and generally should be avoided, unless the doctor suspects a bacterial infection.
- Simple techniques, such as, proper hand washing and covering face while coughing or sneezing, may reduce the spread of upper respiratory infections.
- General outlook for upper respiratory infections is favorable, although, sometimes complication can occur. Continue Reading
2. Getty Images
4. Getty Images
5. Getty Images
7. Getty Images
9. Getty Images
10. Getty Images
11. Getty Images
12. Getty Images
14. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!