Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
Upper respiratory infection facts
- Upper respiratory infections are one of the most common reasons for doctor visits.
- Upper respiratory infections are the most common illness resulting in missed work or school.
- Upper respiratory infections can happen at any time, but are most common in the fall and winter.
- The vast majority of upper respiratory infections are caused by viruses and are self-limited.
- Symptoms of upper respiratory infection include
- Antibiotics are rarely needed to treat upper respiratory infections and generally should be avoided, unless the doctor suspects a bacterial infection.
- Simple techniques, such as, proper hand washing and covering face while coughing or sneezing, may reduce the spread of upper respiratory infections.
- General outlook for upper respiratory infections is favorable, although, sometimes complication can occur. Continue Reading
Reviewed on 7/17/2015