Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: WorriedWifey, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 2 years ago. He has had 2 really bad flare ups that hospitalized him for weeks. His symptoms have included really bad abdominal pain, severe weight loss in short periods of time, blood and mucus in his stool, very watery diarrhea multiple times a day, fatigue and weakness to where he couldn't even stand when hospitalized, nausea and even hemorrhoids. Lately, he has gotten newer symptoms including a fever, breaking out in cold sweats and he has been throwing up everything he consumes and still has bad cramping and liquid diarrhea. It's almost as if his body is not properly digesting his food anymore.

Comment from: pmunkin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had a mild case of ulcerative colitis in 2003 that was treated with medication. After a year I was off the medicines. Fast forward to 2014 July. With no prior symptoms (aside from joint pain I attributed to age) I woke up one morning and passed a lot of blood. I ended up in an aid car to the hospital. In my case I had a rare form of right sided ulcerative colitis. In the hospital they could not control the bleeding with prednisone. After several transfusions and a near death experience on day 4 I had a hemicolectomy and a temporary ileostomy. After 3 months I had the remaining 2/3 of my colon hooked up and so far so good. I am still only 8 weeks out from surgery 2 but I feel good and everything is working. My surgeon said this was an unusual presentation, all the passing out. Get your colonoscopies!

Comment from: kirmart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been coping with ulcerative colitis (UC) for 4 years now and around December every year it seems to be the worst. I am a student in graduate school so the pain maybe caused by poor diet/lack of sleep/stress. I am on Asacol, Imuran, and Simponi. I have yet to go 6 months in remission. It is nice to see people have gotten in remission and I am looking forward to trying some of your suggestions.

Comment from: uc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had stomach issues all my life due to stress. I'm turning 40 this year and my doctor diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis last week. I had the bandings of hemorrhoids in January and then more surgery after that with my rectum. During that time the rectal bleeding never stopped and I was having flair ups and lots of sitz baths after going to the bathroom 10 times. The doctor put me on two types of medications for it. I now find myself telling my husband often that 'today is not a good day for me' after suffering abdominal pain, diarrhea, rectal bleeding and several bathroom trips.

Comment from: MissBunny, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) approximately 2001. It was very severe and the pain was excruciating. I had weight loss, made 15 trips to the bathroom each day, screaming in pain and had no appetite. Hospital put me on intravenous steroids as I was very dehydrated. They were unable to do a colonoscopy for fear of rupturing my ulcerated colon. However, I was able to go into remission quite quickly. I was on steroids for two weeks but refused to continue taking them. I was then put on Asacol, 6 tablets per day and have been taking them religiously. That medicine has now been changed to Lialda, 2 per day. I eat whatever I want but it's a very healthy diet. Lots of fruit, vegetables, fish and fowl but not red meat. I don't smoke anymore and I rarely drink alcohol. More than 2 cups of coffee per day irritates my colon. Exercise is very important. I exercise at least 5 days per week. The biggest cause of UC is stress. Try to exercise and meditate it does help. I have had a few small flare ups due to stress but seem to be doing quite well. I have colonoscopy every 2 years as those with UC have a higher risk of colon cancer. Good luck everyone.

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?