Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: uk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had UC (ulcerative colitis) for 23 years now which is managed taking mesalazine tablets. I have very few major flare ups but eat a bland diet and haven"t drunk alcohol for the 23 years but if you want to feel well you have to do what you have to do! I get mild flare ups i.e., blood, mucus, pain and urgency, and tiredness but I can cope with these. When I get a flare up I am bed ridden for 4 days in agony and with sickness and diarrhea. UC is responsive to diet - stay bland!

Comment from: eman1130, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm 22 years old, I've been diagnosed with chronic inflammatory colitis at 20. I had all kind of treatments for a year and nothing seemed to work, so I got off medicines and it's been a year without medicine. Problem is, it is getting worse; I have constant pain in my right abdomen side and I feel like I'm full all the time, my right side is slightly higher than my left and sometimes I feel like there is something solid there. My abdomen always cramps and sometimes there is a lot of gas. My stool is kind of soft like it has water in it and sometimes thin but mostly normal and sometimes watery. When I go to the bathroom I still feel full. Recently my lips are kind of dry and my saliva is thick. What's really makes me afraid is my right side, wondering if it could that be cancer.

Comment from: Jessica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been living with ulcerative colitis for the past 7 years and I was diagnosed in 2007. At first I did not take it seriously because I did not know much about it, but then it started getting worse. I could not attend school because of the urgency of having to use the bathroom which embarrassed me; I started having bloody stool and even passing stool more than 5 times a day. I eventually lost weight. At times after a bloody diarrhea I would have cramps and also fever. As a result I fell into a depression because I could not leave the house or attend any events. I had to stay in for a while and changed my diet which was very difficult.

Comment from: njguy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had ulcerative colitis since May 2013. It wasn"t until December 2013 that the doctor finally ordered a colonoscopy. Initially it was attributed to me getting married. That wasn"t the case. It didn"t stop. Never saw too much blood, but I did have fatigue, moodiness brought on by being tired and from having to alter my life around the bathroom. I can travel less and it has affected my sex life. As far as medications, the only one that works is Xanax. And that is to take the frustration away from all the other medications that I"ve taken that don"t work. It"s now February and I"ve basically given up on doctors. I think this is something that will just always be a problem and it"s easier to accept having it than thinking things can ever go back to normal again.

Comment from: Darla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

As a little girl with stress in the family I frequently had stomachaches. My mom just thought it was a "nervous tummy." In my very early twenties, out of nowhere, I became very ill with stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, and fever. I was hospitalized for three days and sent home with the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis after many blood tests, endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. The best thing that helps me and my symptoms is rest and trying to keep any stress down as much as possible. Although it is said that stress doesn't cause this medical problem... I can certainly say that stress causes flare-ups.

Comment from: Skeeter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about 7 years ago. I was on steroids up until November 2012. I started taking a 50 billion probiotic and it has helped out a lot! The steroids affected my bone. At my age I now have arthritis. I still go to the bathroom more than the average person but, It went from 10 to 15 times day to 5.

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?