Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: May 27

Hi, I have had UC since 1996 with periods of remission. I have been symptom free for about 3 years but lately my symptoms have returned.

Published: May 27

Hi, my 12 year old son has just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Symptoms of horrific tummy pains, thick diarrhea with blood and mucus, these symptoms were only in a week. He is on 10 tablets a day with review to specialist next week.

Published: May 27

I experienced diarrhea only. After colonoscopy I was said I have ulcerative pancolitis. No bleeding no pain.

Published: May 27

Bleeding through my rectum, pain in my large intestine, diarrea, bloating.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 12

My Mom was diagnosed with UC. UC has truly affected her life. She has experienced bloating, bleeding, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fatigue & loss of appetite. She takes medication, but there is no hope that this is ever going to go away.

Comment from: JKB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

My second flare started in March with severe diarrhea. The first day then blood started showing in bowel movements that increased over a period of time. Soon there was bloody mucous instead of solid waste. I'm still not in remission, in fact, symptoms have increased slowly, but steadily until this last week the symptoms have seemed to calm down a little.

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?