Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: ziz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am now a 50 year old woman. Two years ago I was diagnosed with UC. I had it for a good year. All the usual symptoms. Put on Asacol then couldn't tolerate it due to liver counts up. I put myself on Ginger tablets and Aloe vera Tablets, prayed a lot and thank God it has gone now for over a year. Doctors have discharged me I still take the Ginger but stopped the Aloe vera. Normal once a day stools now.

Comment from: Lalsonflwr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had UC since 1995. I had to use sulfa drugs and prednisone to get it under control. I moved in 2004 and had a new doctor. I had a bad flare-up and he wouldn't give me medications without a colonoscopy so I switched doctors. I had very good luck with the new doctor, who prescribed Imuran. Eventually, I got off of the Imuran, and now I'm only on Colazal. My lovely insurance decided I had to have the generic for Colazal though, and I have been flaring ever since. I am also taking the Rowasa enema, which usually helps, but it still takes time. I have noticed that it takes about six weeks from the start to be back to somewhat “normal.” I haven't found any foods that work better or to avoid personally. I know it's hard to deal with. I am a flight attendant and have had to be off sick this time until it is under control.

Comment from: Colleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had colitis since I was 17 years old. I'm now 54. My colitis seems to resurface every three years. It has been a painful few months, but the Prednisone seems to be helping, although I'm not back in remission yet. My mom was wonderful when I was 17, helping me with this illness, and it makes all the difference today. I almost died in 2004 from this illness; it will get worse if not treated immediately. Things that help: Get a doctor you feel comfortable with, has the experience and current knowledge to help you, and commitment to help you. Be kind to yourself, and be your greatest advocate to deal with this illness and put it in remission. Keep your stress low. I firmly believe stress is a trigger to this illness. Eat healthy, get as much rest as possible, and stay positive that you will feel better and will be able to enjoy life again.

Published: July 25

My ulcerative colitis symptoms started instantly and came out of nowhere. There was no building up to a disorder, it just came. It started with sharp, cramping pain in my lower left abdomen. I couldn't make a bowel movement, though I felt like I needed to. The pain got so bad that when I stood up, I would double over. I couldn't eat. After three days of that, I went to the doctor and then to the emergency room about three or four times. Everyone seemed clueless and did nothing for me other than numerous pap and pelvic exams. I was so sick I was throwing up water and couldn't eat anything. This lasted for a month. Finally I begged my doctor to put me in the hospital because I felt so horrible. I couldn't take care of my kids or keep up with the housework. I felt very weak and lethargic. In the hospital, they finally did a colonoscopy and an X-ray. Then I had an answer and have been pretty good on Asacol since then. It has been a year this last January.

Published: July 09

When my ulcerative colitis flared, or flares, my signs and symptoms consisted of rectal bleeding, diarrhea and pelvic cramps and urgency. This has been consistent of every flare-up I've had.

Published: July 07

I have had UC for 8 years, seems to be getting harder to treat. I have run the gambit of drugs, the only thing working now is prednisone, I am tapering down to 20 mg with little problem. Hate the side effects, extra 15 lbs, facial puffiness, hump in the upper back area, swelling of feet and ankles. The next step will be Imodium. The only thing that makes it bearable is a great doctor and a wonderful understanding husband. Good luck to all who have the UC curse.

Published: June 27

I have had ulcerative colitis for over a decade now. First symptoms were uncontrollable diarrhea, bloody stools and mucus. I thought I was dying. My doctor put me on Azulfidine at that time. I barely have any symptoms at all now. I stopped eating dairy!! That did half of the trick. I can have some dairy now. Less refined the better. So, diet, exercise and Azulfidine have made me almost totally free of symptoms for over many years now. I am down to 500mg once a day.

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?