Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: uc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had stomach issues all my life due to stress. I'm turning 40 this year and my doctor diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis last week. I had the bandings of hemorrhoids in January and then more surgery after that with my rectum. During that time the rectal bleeding never stopped and I was having flair ups and lots of sitz baths after going to the bathroom 10 times. The doctor put me on two types of medications for it. I now find myself telling my husband often that 'today is not a good day for me' after suffering abdominal pain, diarrhea, rectal bleeding and several bathroom trips.

Comment from: quade, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) since I was born. In the early 80s they didn't know what it was. My poor mom went through agony. But so did I. I think that UC untreated is so painful and isn't fun for anybody. Two years ago I was in isolation in a hospital here locally. It was not fun. I was in isolation for 9 days and that was awful. I don't wish that on anybody. I think what I am trying to say is that UC is a harsh condition that doesn't have a cure. If you have this make sure that you have a good specialist and make sure that you have good support. I have to say that my reason for getting through this is that I have adjusted my diet and if you have UC I would suggest that you might do the same.

Comment from: MissBunny, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) approximately 2001. It was very severe and the pain was excruciating. I had weight loss, made 15 trips to the bathroom each day, screaming in pain and had no appetite. Hospital put me on intravenous steroids as I was very dehydrated. They were unable to do a colonoscopy for fear of rupturing my ulcerated colon. However, I was able to go into remission quite quickly. I was on steroids for two weeks but refused to continue taking them. I was then put on Asacol, 6 tablets per day and have been taking them religiously. That medicine has now been changed to Lialda, 2 per day. I eat whatever I want but it's a very healthy diet. Lots of fruit, vegetables, fish and fowl but not red meat. I don't smoke anymore and I rarely drink alcohol. More than 2 cups of coffee per day irritates my colon. Exercise is very important. I exercise at least 5 days per week. The biggest cause of UC is stress. Try to exercise and meditate it does help. I have had a few small flare ups due to stress but seem to be doing quite well. I have colonoscopy every 2 years as those with UC have a higher risk of colon cancer. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: AG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) 3.5 years ago. I was on Apriso, until my hair started falling out. I tried decreasing the dosage and would end up going into a flair with urgency (up to 19 times a day), cramps, nausea, bloody diarrhea, night sweats, fever and weight loss, etc. Prednisone would stop the flair, Uceris did nothing for me. After losing half my hair volume, I quit taking Apriso this year in March. I am working with my doctor to find a different medicine that I can tolerate and that will not make my hair fall out. We are looking at the thiopurines.

Comment from: uk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had UC (ulcerative colitis) for 23 years now which is managed taking mesalazine tablets. I have very few major flare ups but eat a bland diet and haven"t drunk alcohol for the 23 years but if you want to feel well you have to do what you have to do! I get mild flare ups i.e., blood, mucus, pain and urgency, and tiredness but I can cope with these. When I get a flare up I am bed ridden for 4 days in agony and with sickness and diarrhea. UC is responsive to diet - stay bland!

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?