Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: quade, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) since I was born. In the early 80s they didn't know what it was. My poor mom went through agony. But so did I. I think that UC untreated is so painful and isn't fun for anybody. Two years ago I was in isolation in a hospital here locally. It was not fun. I was in isolation for 9 days and that was awful. I don't wish that on anybody. I think what I am trying to say is that UC is a harsh condition that doesn't have a cure. If you have this make sure that you have a good specialist and make sure that you have good support. I have to say that my reason for getting through this is that I have adjusted my diet and if you have UC I would suggest that you might do the same.

Comment from: MissBunny, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) approximately 2001. It was very severe and the pain was excruciating. I had weight loss, made 15 trips to the bathroom each day, screaming in pain and had no appetite. Hospital put me on intravenous steroids as I was very dehydrated. They were unable to do a colonoscopy for fear of rupturing my ulcerated colon. However, I was able to go into remission quite quickly. I was on steroids for two weeks but refused to continue taking them. I was then put on Asacol, 6 tablets per day and have been taking them religiously. That medicine has now been changed to Lialda, 2 per day. I eat whatever I want but it's a very healthy diet. Lots of fruit, vegetables, fish and fowl but not red meat. I don't smoke anymore and I rarely drink alcohol. More than 2 cups of coffee per day irritates my colon. Exercise is very important. I exercise at least 5 days per week. The biggest cause of UC is stress. Try to exercise and meditate it does help. I have had a few small flare ups due to stress but seem to be doing quite well. I have colonoscopy every 2 years as those with UC have a higher risk of colon cancer. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: AG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) 3.5 years ago. I was on Apriso, until my hair started falling out. I tried decreasing the dosage and would end up going into a flair with urgency (up to 19 times a day), cramps, nausea, bloody diarrhea, night sweats, fever and weight loss, etc. Prednisone would stop the flair, Uceris did nothing for me. After losing half my hair volume, I quit taking Apriso this year in March. I am working with my doctor to find a different medicine that I can tolerate and that will not make my hair fall out. We are looking at the thiopurines.

Comment from: uk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had UC (ulcerative colitis) for 23 years now which is managed taking mesalazine tablets. I have very few major flare ups but eat a bland diet and haven"t drunk alcohol for the 23 years but if you want to feel well you have to do what you have to do! I get mild flare ups i.e., blood, mucus, pain and urgency, and tiredness but I can cope with these. When I get a flare up I am bed ridden for 4 days in agony and with sickness and diarrhea. UC is responsive to diet - stay bland!

Comment from: eman1130, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm 22 years old, I've been diagnosed with chronic inflammatory colitis at 20. I had all kind of treatments for a year and nothing seemed to work, so I got off medicines and it's been a year without medicine. Problem is, it is getting worse; I have constant pain in my right abdomen side and I feel like I'm full all the time, my right side is slightly higher than my left and sometimes I feel like there is something solid there. My abdomen always cramps and sometimes there is a lot of gas. My stool is kind of soft like it has water in it and sometimes thin but mostly normal and sometimes watery. When I go to the bathroom I still feel full. Recently my lips are kind of dry and my saliva is thick. What's really makes me afraid is my right side, wondering if it could that be cancer.

Comment from: Jessica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been living with ulcerative colitis for the past 7 years and I was diagnosed in 2007. At first I did not take it seriously because I did not know much about it, but then it started getting worse. I could not attend school because of the urgency of having to use the bathroom which embarrassed me; I started having bloody stool and even passing stool more than 5 times a day. I eventually lost weight. At times after a bloody diarrhea I would have cramps and also fever. As a result I fell into a depression because I could not leave the house or attend any events. I had to stay in for a while and changed my diet which was very difficult.

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?