Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Darla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

As a little girl with stress in the family I frequently had stomachaches. My mom just thought it was a "nervous tummy." In my very early twenties, out of nowhere, I became very ill with stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, and fever. I was hospitalized for three days and sent home with the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis after many blood tests, endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. The best thing that helps me and my symptoms is rest and trying to keep any stress down as much as possible. Although it is said that stress doesn't cause this medical problem... I can certainly say that stress causes flare-ups.

Comment from: tucker, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

The symptoms I experienced for ulcerative colitis were bloody diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and weight loss. My doc said the UC is not that bad in me but it could get worse if I don't follow a healthy diet and take dairy products. He said that is the only key in UC to follow the diet given by the doctor and medicine plays a little role, it just makes your symptoms a little better for some time but after that it depends just on your diet.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am a 49-year-old female, and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) only three weeks ago. My symptoms started with uncontrollable diarrhea, which then turned to all blood, and stomach cramps. I couldn't eat and was having dry heaves, hot and cold flashes. I went to the ER, where their first guess was a hemorrhoid aggravated by the diarrhea. Then they gave me a CT scan. I was admitted, and after three days, they gave me a colonoscopy, which showed that I had UC. They then started me on sulfasalazine, and my symptoms ceased. My stools are now formed again. I was lactose intolerant before my diagnosis, but I have now given up all forms of dairy. I am now eating a low-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in hopes of staying in remission. I have read of remissions lasting from 10 to 30 years, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be one of the lucky few.

Published: July 31

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis this summer after a three-day stay in the hospital, combined with a high fever, multiple bowel movements and a follow-up colonoscopy. This flare-up has been going on for six weeks. I have managed to work, but I have had to leave early or miss a few days. I am on Canasa suppositories and Prednisone. It seems to be lessening in voracity, but I am still going eight or nine times a day, sometimes with nothing more than spasms and mucus. It has affected most things in my life, including travel and sex.

Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1994, when I went to the emergency room for rectal bleeding. For years, I was not in a financial position to get treatment. I tried raw foods, going vegan for a while, and it kept symptoms to a minimum for a few years. Then two years ago, I started having diarrhea with mucus and sometimes blood several times a day. Every meal ended with an emergency trip to the bathroom. Then my symptoms swung around the other way, and I stopped digesting food at all. I'd have a lump of food in the transverse colon for days, and the pain and swelling was unbearable. Eventually, I would get frustrated and drink a pot of black coffee so I could go to the bathroom, which ended up being just as runny and bloody as before. I've been waiting a year for my insurance to kick in at work. Now I'm waiting for approval on my referral to a specialist. I am afraid my poverty is going to cause colon cancer.

Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last month after I was admitted into the hospital with severe diarrhea and bile vomiting. I went to the doctor twice and they said I had caught a bug and it should pass with antibiotics. After three weeks of abdominal pain and not being able to eat, I figured I'd better go to the ER. The first time I went to the ER, they said the same thing as the doctor and sent me home with more potent antibiotics. Three days after no changes, I was back in the ER and was admitted for five days. After a colonoscopy they diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis, and now I'm on Asacol, medicated enemas, and steroids in an attempt to get it under control. After four weeks now, I'm slowly getting better. My stools are getting more formed, and my cramps are usually in the afternoon while I'm at work because I'm trying to hold my stools. The only thing now of concern is my liver counts are elevated, so I have to take weekly tests to keep an eye on that. I feel 75% better than when I went to the hospital, but I'm ready to get my life back to some sort of normalcy.

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?