Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Heavy lifting over many years, about 10 hours per week, especially between 1995 and 2012, contributed to vaginal prolapse, as I did not have children, nor was I ever pregnant. Also beginning to be in menopause. There may be a hereditary weakness, a sister and my mother each had prolapses, but theirs were uterine, I think.

Comment from: Deeb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I received the shingles vaccine a few years ago and just got diagnosed with shingles by a dermatologist, so I am taking Valtrex and Synalar cream. It doesn't hurt, just a little itchy, it feels like a mild sunburn. I suppose it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been vaccinated.

Comment from: Sylvie Lalonde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) for a number of years now and I have been on everything, Asacol, prednisone, Remicade, Imuran, etc. My cousin told me one day that a woman who had the same disease wrote a book on how to cure UC. I tried the special diet and since then, I feel so much better.

Comment from: M Parker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 45 years old and have had mild ulcerative colitis for 15 years. I have always taken Asacol 800 mg tablets, 1 or two a day. My new gastroenterologist tells me I should stop the medications as he feels there is no need to take them. I'm hesitant, as other doctors always seemed to feel I need them.

Comment from: Michiana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 52 now, I feel great and have no active disease. My colitis symptoms began at age 23 along with lactose intolerance. I had a severe attack at age 29 and was diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis). My second major attack was at age 37 shortly before I was married. I was put on Prednisone and sulfa (found out I am ALLERGIC to it) to put me into remission. I took Dipentum for a number of years, then Asacol (4 TID - thrice daily - initially). My symptoms improved six years later and I was able to cut the Asacol to 2 BID (twice daily). I also consulted a dietician/herbal nutritionist who suggested a good probiotic (Solaray Multidophilus 3 billion, 2 capsules with a glass of water twice a day, an hour before breakfast and at bedtime) to build up my immune system, and fish oil (now use Minami Platinum 1 BID with meals) to reduce inflammation. I was also told to find ways to relax (which heals mind and body). Yoga and occasional massage helped as did getting daily exercise – I do brisk walking 30 minutes most days. It took 2-3 years to get myself healed and healthy, though I am still 60 lbs overweight from Prednisone. The probiotics healed my gut and I'm no longer lactose intolerant! I will switch to Delzicol (2 BID) when my supply of Asacol runs out. I still take probiotics (just 2 at bedtime now) and fish oil, do 30 minutes of yoga twice a week and walk 4-5 days a week, have an hour-long massage once a month and try to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and enough protein; I omit grains and starch. Also, I try to drink half my body weight in ounces of water every day (a 150-lb person would need 75 oz water, more if perspiring a lot from hot weather or exercise).

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?