Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: Michiana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 52 now, I feel great and have no active disease. My colitis symptoms began at age 23 along with lactose intolerance. I had a severe attack at age 29 and was diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis). My second major attack was at age 37 shortly before I was married. I was put on Prednisone and sulfa (found out I am ALLERGIC to it) to put me into remission. I took Dipentum for a number of years, then Asacol (4 TID - thrice daily - initially). My symptoms improved six years later and I was able to cut the Asacol to 2 BID (twice daily). I also consulted a dietician/herbal nutritionist who suggested a good probiotic (Solaray Multidophilus 3 billion, 2 capsules with a glass of water twice a day, an hour before breakfast and at bedtime) to build up my immune system, and fish oil (now use Minami Platinum 1 BID with meals) to reduce inflammation. I was also told to find ways to relax (which heals mind and body). Yoga and occasional massage helped as did getting daily exercise – I do brisk walking 30 minutes most days. It took 2-3 years to get myself healed and healthy, though I am still 60 lbs overweight from Prednisone. The probiotics healed my gut and I'm no longer lactose intolerant! I will switch to Delzicol (2 BID) when my supply of Asacol runs out. I still take probiotics (just 2 at bedtime now) and fish oil, do 30 minutes of yoga twice a week and walk 4-5 days a week, have an hour-long massage once a month and try to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and enough protein; I omit grains and starch. Also, I try to drink half my body weight in ounces of water every day (a 150-lb person would need 75 oz water, more if perspiring a lot from hot weather or exercise).

Comment from: knoedel64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

Hi, I have had UC since the age of 24 and I am now 48. There was a series of medications they gave me, until I was given Asacol about 9 years ago and that works for me. I have only had 2 or 3 flare ups since and I can eat everything. If I have a flare up I am treated with Antibiotics and Steroids for a couple of weeks and that takes care of the problem. Unfortunately my daughter, who is 21 now has UC also and I just spent the night at the ER with her. She is given the same treatment and medications and we will see if that helps her too. There was a time I didn't think I was ever going to get better and I was so relieved to have a normal life after Asacol was prescribed.

Comment from: Jacqui, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with UC at the age of 23. I have suffered with 4 or 5 flare ups a year and the last one lasted for almost 4 months. I went on a juice and fruit fast and all of the symptoms (bleeding mucous, cramps) vanished within 2 days. I was previously taking Asacol and steroid enemas. I moved to Australia where they put me on Salofalk enemas which helped a bit. But as soon as I stopped using them it came back. I done a lot of research and trial and found that I cannot eat meat. I have now been symptom free and drug free for 11 months! My diet consists mainly of Green juice. Soups, salads, veg and a small amount of fish. I can eat bread and pasta cookies etc. as long as I have enough fruits and veg. I have never felt better. I also had arthritis which has improved dramatically. I am 40 now. Hope this helps someone. I still can't believe I have healed myself after 17 years!

Comment from: CahrlieG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have both Chrons colitis and Ulcerative colitis dating back 15 - 20 years. I was treated with asacol and colazal simultaneously for several years and then was reduced to colazal only. This treatment has been quite successful at maintaining a remission status almost the entire time. Dosage level is tolerable and I have not had any side effects. I encourage use of this treatment for others who have issues from the IBS.

Comment from: TWKelly, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm new at this since I was only diagnosed in November. I have had no issues with the Asacol (400mg X3 TID) but apparently, according to the GI doc who prescribed it (along with prednisone), it isn't working like he expected the treatment would. So now I am looking at Remicade treatment. Based on the potential nasty side effects. and the fact that it is a slow infusion IV, I'm reluctant to go ahead with this and take my chances with oral medications.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed when I was 26 years old. I took sulfasalazine for 25 years ,along with retention steroid enemas. That worked as long as I was on the meds. Now I am 63 and I am not on any meds because I have developed sensitivity to everything except, prednisone. So when I have flare-ups that is all that will help. Now I have to have a colonoscopy every year.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?