Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: Backwoods, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I suffer from pain on my left side from ulcerative colitis. I am overweight. This has been going on for several years now. The pain is under my left rib cage and goes around mu left side. It feels like I am full most of the time. The trouble is my stomach bubbles like when you open a can of coke. And feels realy weird. Also just under my rib cage I have things that feel like small rocks. I am extremely tired all the time and I have major anxiety attacks because of this. Everytime I go to the emergency room they check my heart. I keep telling them it's my stomach. They don't listen though.

Comment from: jada Urquhart, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Had ulcerative colitis for a long time, but diagnosed 22 years ago. Mild case. Flares once or twice a year. Asacol, Rowasa and cortisone enemas. When it works, it works, but the disease seems to have a life of its own. Stress an issue for sure, but if you aren't stressed you are probably dead. For very bad flares, I survive on pumpkin custard and whip cream for six weeks. Weird, but it works. (Eggs, milk, pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices.) Get awfully tired of it. Palms of hands and soles of feet turn orange before it's over. Does it work because of anti-oxidants? I'm sure it's just me. But the big point is that the cramps evaporate.

Comment from: Scotiababy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with UC after my son was born, 11 years ago-I had the usual symptoms-frequent mucous bloody BM's, cramping, and was brought under control with Salofalk suppositories and pills, and a short course of prednisone. I made no dietary changes, and the UC only resurfaces if I don't take my meds(now only Salofalk tabs)or if I take anti-inflammatory such as Celebrex or Indocid. I have colonoscopies every few years to rule out cancer. I am very thankful I have a drug plan, as I wouldn't be able to afford my meds without this.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 15 - I am now 42. I have been on everything - Prednisone, Remicade, Imuran, etc. The only thing that has got me into remission for the past 4 years has been Lialda and Methotrexate. Methotrexate has given me my life back! Before this, my only other option was surgery. Thank goodness my GI doctor was at a conference and was discussing my case and was told to try this for UC, not just CD! Even if it quits working tomorrow, at least I have had 4 years of a NORMAL life! I hope this helps someone else!!!

Comment from: LJS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After several years of chronic diarrhea and intense pain, the gastrologist I was seeing suggested I take a probiotic twice daily, morning and night and one sachet 4g of Questran, per day. Questran is prescribed for people with high cholesterol, it helps to prevent diarrhea in people who have E Coli bacteria in their gut. It works for me, I also have a low fiber diet of 10-12grams per day, and drink up to 8 glasses of water per day, sometimes more. I have rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis is a symptom of this. My RA is from having too many viral infections.

Comment from: momma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Have had ulcerative colitis for three years now. I am having I guess what you calla flare ups and I am in so much pain. I'm scared to eat anything even water hurts and gives me cramping. I don't know what to take for pain as the doctor told me not to take NSAIDs because it makes it worse. I don't know what to do but I know that hes gonna put me on steroids for the colon and I'm scared because I don't want to get big and swollen.

Comment from: grateful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had ulcerative colitis for a number of years now and tried all the medications. 60mg Prednisone, Asacol, Azathioprine, etc. all to no avail. I had bad diarrhea and rectal bleeding to the point where I couldn't leave the house anymore. I am 38 years old and don't drink or smoke. My diet is healthy although I don't often feel like eating. I get full very quickly, then feel sick. Last year I had surgery and had my colon removed. I now have an ileostomy bag for life which is fine. I can leave the house now and do things with my kids, so that's great. Still on a lot of meds and still feel sick whenever i eat but things are better than they were. I say to anyone else going through the same thing to hang in there. It does get better. I

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?