Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: momma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Have had ulcerative colitis for three years now. I am having I guess what you calla flare ups and I am in so much pain. I'm scared to eat anything even water hurts and gives me cramping. I don't know what to take for pain as the doctor told me not to take NSAIDs because it makes it worse. I don't know what to do but I know that hes gonna put me on steroids for the colon and I'm scared because I don't want to get big and swollen.

Comment from: grateful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had ulcerative colitis for a number of years now and tried all the medications. 60mg Prednisone, Asacol, Azathioprine, etc. all to no avail. I had bad diarrhea and rectal bleeding to the point where I couldn't leave the house anymore. I am 38 years old and don't drink or smoke. My diet is healthy although I don't often feel like eating. I get full very quickly, then feel sick. Last year I had surgery and had my colon removed. I now have an ileostomy bag for life which is fine. I can leave the house now and do things with my kids, so that's great. Still on a lot of meds and still feel sick whenever i eat but things are better than they were. I say to anyone else going through the same thing to hang in there. It does get better. I

Comment from: bec, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a severe flare that evolved into pancolitis. It took a long time to respond to high dose of prednisone, 60mg for 3 months. Now I am on Azathioprine 25mg every other day but what really helped was VSL #3 it is a probiotic that is activated once it enters your intestinal tract. All I can say is hang in there, remission is around the corner and there are great studies on use of probiotics. Good luck. I am well!

Comment from: loftee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

Keeping your diet 'white' sugar-free. Deleting cakes, biscuits, jams jellies and anything that has white sugar associated to it. Use natural products like honey. This helped my husband immensely to be steroid free and manage without medications.

Comment from: Barnes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I just found out yesterday I had UC. It was a major blow to me. I prayed on it and I am going to give UC a fight to the end. I started off with some constipation and then to bloody stools, then to irritation near the rectum. I am on the Steroid and the suppository enema and hopes that this will do the trick. If not I will continue the fight. I have been told that stress is bad for UC. So I will try to stay away from it.

Comment from: brownie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am 70 years old and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I was in the hospital for 12 days. I had bad diarrhea and was very dehydrated. I'm on Apriso four capsules in applesauce works good, but I'm losing my hair and don't know what to do.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I am on Asacol which does not always help when I have a relapse and I am then forced to take prednisone.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?