Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: J-fo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 48 years old and have had ulcerative colitis for 23 years. I usually get flare ups about once or twice a year and can get it under control with meds. This time it is different. Much more severe cramping especially in my lower back.

Comment from: sojo87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 21. When none of the medication worked the surgical specialist I was seeing told me the only other option was surgery. This devastated myself and my family. I was then passed on to the medical side and they tried me on azathioprine. This has worked for me and only occasionaly do I need to use codeine to help if I have a flare up due to alcohol or spicy things (which I love). Thanks to the help of my medical doctors I have got my life back on track and very rarely worry about my colitis.

Comment from: magsamil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been having a flare up for over 5 months now. Asacol wasn't helping and I developed an allergy to it so my doctor put me on Pentasa. 3 pills 2 times a day. They have improved my condition but I still get very stressed when I am not within a reasonable distance of a bathroom. I have a one hour drive in heavy traffic to work every day and I feel like I can't handle it anymore.

Comment from: Backwoods, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I suffer from pain on my left side from ulcerative colitis. I am overweight. This has been going on for several years now. The pain is under my left rib cage and goes around mu left side. It feels like I am full most of the time. The trouble is my stomach bubbles like when you open a can of coke. And feels realy weird. Also just under my rib cage I have things that feel like small rocks. I am extremely tired all the time and I have major anxiety attacks because of this. Everytime I go to the emergency room they check my heart. I keep telling them it's my stomach. They don't listen though.

Comment from: jada Urquhart, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Had ulcerative colitis for a long time, but diagnosed 22 years ago. Mild case. Flares once or twice a year. Asacol, Rowasa and cortisone enemas. When it works, it works, but the disease seems to have a life of its own. Stress an issue for sure, but if you aren't stressed you are probably dead. For very bad flares, I survive on pumpkin custard and whip cream for six weeks. Weird, but it works. (Eggs, milk, pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices.) Get awfully tired of it. Palms of hands and soles of feet turn orange before it's over. Does it work because of anti-oxidants? I'm sure it's just me. But the big point is that the cramps evaporate.

Comment from: Scotiababy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with UC after my son was born, 11 years ago-I had the usual symptoms-frequent mucous bloody BM's, cramping, and was brought under control with Salofalk suppositories and pills, and a short course of prednisone. I made no dietary changes, and the UC only resurfaces if I don't take my meds(now only Salofalk tabs)or if I take anti-inflammatory such as Celebrex or Indocid. I have colonoscopies every few years to rule out cancer. I am very thankful I have a drug plan, as I wouldn't be able to afford my meds without this.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 15 - I am now 42. I have been on everything - Prednisone, Remicade, Imuran, etc. The only thing that has got me into remission for the past 4 years has been Lialda and Methotrexate. Methotrexate has given me my life back! Before this, my only other option was surgery. Thank goodness my GI doctor was at a conference and was discussing my case and was told to try this for UC, not just CD! Even if it quits working tomorrow, at least I have had 4 years of a NORMAL life! I hope this helps someone else!!!

Comment from: LJS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After several years of chronic diarrhea and intense pain, the gastrologist I was seeing suggested I take a probiotic twice daily, morning and night and one sachet 4g of Questran, per day. Questran is prescribed for people with high cholesterol, it helps to prevent diarrhea in people who have E Coli bacteria in their gut. It works for me, I also have a low fiber diet of 10-12grams per day, and drink up to 8 glasses of water per day, sometimes more. I have rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis is a symptom of this. My RA is from having too many viral infections.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?