Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

My medications help, but sometimes if I drink alcohol or eat spicy foods, I'll have flare ups. I have noticed that stress also contributes to it. I'm trying to be good!

Comment from: jana82, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have ulcerative pancolitis and was taking 3.2 grams of Asacol and 40 mg of Prednisone (tapered off after symptoms cleared) a day and it worked for about 6 months. Neither Asacol nor Prednisone worked for my second flare so my doctor started me on Remicade. The Remicade injections have put my UC in remission. I have only taken 2 initial injections so far and all the symptoms have cleared by about 90%. That is really good because usually it takes several months for it to kick in. After my third injection I will only need maintenance injections once every 8 weeks. I also take asacol 3 x2 per day which is minimum dose. Every day it gets a little better. Remicade and Asacol are working great for me.

Comment from: girlie24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

After months of trying to change diet and lifestyle first, I ended up at the doctors anyway. I was on prednisone and Lialda for a month and now just Lialda. I finally feel like I have a normal life again! No flare ups and I can eat/drink anything without issue.

Comment from: plb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had severe ulcerative colitis and was treated with massive prednisone doses and Asacol. I lost a lot of hair, gained weight, went into menopause, got weak, etc. The doctor wanted to take out my colon, but I refused. I did research alternatives, and I changed my diet. I've been OK for 12 years! I do lactose-free products, no beef or corn, little caffeine and alcohol, and I use oat cereal and oat breads. The most wonderful and helpful thing was discovering aloe vera ingestible gel and now capsules. The gel was slimy, but it healed up the bleeding very quickly, and now they have capsules and they are of course preferable! So don't listen when they tell your diet can't help.

Comment from: Ren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease at 50 years old and have done well on an IV of Remicade, and Liada orally.

Comment from: J-fo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 48 years old and have had ulcerative colitis for 23 years. I usually get flare ups about once or twice a year and can get it under control with meds. This time it is different. Much more severe cramping especially in my lower back.

Comment from: sojo87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 21. When none of the medication worked the surgical specialist I was seeing told me the only other option was surgery. This devastated myself and my family. I was then passed on to the medical side and they tried me on azathioprine. This has worked for me and only occasionaly do I need to use codeine to help if I have a flare up due to alcohol or spicy things (which I love). Thanks to the help of my medical doctors I have got my life back on track and very rarely worry about my colitis.

Comment from: magsamil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been having a flare up for over 5 months now. Asacol wasn't helping and I developed an allergy to it so my doctor put me on Pentasa. 3 pills 2 times a day. They have improved my condition but I still get very stressed when I am not within a reasonable distance of a bathroom. I have a one hour drive in heavy traffic to work every day and I feel like I can't handle it anymore.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?