Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed at the age of 19 and have taken Asacol and the Rowasa enema which has worked well. It was the worst during my pregnancy at age 23. I had flare ups 5-6 times a year until I had my gallbladder taken out at age 35. I'm now 45 and have occasional loose stools but have not had severe symptoms in like 25 years.

Comment from: angelofmusic080, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 21 and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year. For years I struggled with embarrassingly frequent bathroom visits. I could get through a meet without at least three trips. At first my doctor thought it to be irritable bowel syndrome and told me to take fiber. Nothing helped. Then it got really bad. I lost twenty pounds because my body would not accept any nutrients and it went right through me. I was finally told to get a colonoscopy and was diagnosed. My family says it is my fault and that I caused it by having severe depression and stress, but I know I cannot change it. I take 3000 mg of sulfasalazine a day and am worried about cancer. My mom had UC and developed gall bladder cancer which she did not survive.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

My medications help, but sometimes if I drink alcohol or eat spicy foods, I'll have flare ups. I have noticed that stress also contributes to it. I'm trying to be good!

Comment from: jana82, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have ulcerative pancolitis and was taking 3.2 grams of Asacol and 40 mg of Prednisone (tapered off after symptoms cleared) a day and it worked for about 6 months. Neither Asacol nor Prednisone worked for my second flare so my doctor started me on Remicade. The Remicade injections have put my UC in remission. I have only taken 2 initial injections so far and all the symptoms have cleared by about 90%. That is really good because usually it takes several months for it to kick in. After my third injection I will only need maintenance injections once every 8 weeks. I also take asacol 3 x2 per day which is minimum dose. Every day it gets a little better. Remicade and Asacol are working great for me.

Comment from: girlie24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

After months of trying to change diet and lifestyle first, I ended up at the doctors anyway. I was on prednisone and Lialda for a month and now just Lialda. I finally feel like I have a normal life again! No flare ups and I can eat/drink anything without issue.

Comment from: plb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had severe ulcerative colitis and was treated with massive prednisone doses and Asacol. I lost a lot of hair, gained weight, went into menopause, got weak, etc. The doctor wanted to take out my colon, but I refused. I did research alternatives, and I changed my diet. I've been OK for 12 years! I do lactose-free products, no beef or corn, little caffeine and alcohol, and I use oat cereal and oat breads. The most wonderful and helpful thing was discovering aloe vera ingestible gel and now capsules. The gel was slimy, but it healed up the bleeding very quickly, and now they have capsules and they are of course preferable! So don't listen when they tell your diet can't help.

Comment from: Ren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease at 50 years old and have done well on an IV of Remicade, and Liada orally.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?