Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: Jacqui, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with UC at the age of 23. I have suffered with 4 or 5 flare ups a year and the last one lasted for almost 4 months. I went on a juice and fruit fast and all of the symptoms (bleeding mucous, cramps) vanished within 2 days. I was previously taking Asacol and steroid enemas. I moved to Australia where they put me on Salofalk enemas which helped a bit. But as soon as I stopped using them it came back. I done a lot of research and trial and found that I cannot eat meat. I have now been symptom free and drug free for 11 months! My diet consists mainly of Green juice. Soups, salads, veg and a small amount of fish. I can eat bread and pasta cookies etc. as long as I have enough fruits and veg. I have never felt better. I also had arthritis which has improved dramatically. I am 40 now. Hope this helps someone. I still can't believe I have healed myself after 17 years!

Comment from: CahrlieG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have both Chrons colitis and Ulcerative colitis dating back 15 - 20 years. I was treated with asacol and colazal simultaneously for several years and then was reduced to colazal only. This treatment has been quite successful at maintaining a remission status almost the entire time. Dosage level is tolerable and I have not had any side effects. I encourage use of this treatment for others who have issues from the IBS.

Comment from: TWKelly, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm new at this since I was only diagnosed in November. I have had no issues with the Asacol (400mg X3 TID) but apparently, according to the GI doc who prescribed it (along with prednisone), it isn't working like he expected the treatment would. So now I am looking at Remicade treatment. Based on the potential nasty side effects. and the fact that it is a slow infusion IV, I'm reluctant to go ahead with this and take my chances with oral medications.

Comment from: Lauren, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in May but I started suffering with bloody stool, weight loss, fatigue and I just had no interest in anything back in January 2011. At first they put me on steroids and asacol. I was having about the same symptoms nothing was really getting better. I was just finishing college and I was in a job I hated so this is what I did which actually has helped me go into remission. I moved 100 miles away, found a new job, clean the stress from my life. Also, I started exercising a little more and trying to eat better. My medicine was just getting to expensive, since July 2011 I haven't taken any meds and about a month after I have been in remission. Not everyone should stop taking their meds but this has helped me plus trying to live a healthy life.

Comment from: Nina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 14, I am now 45. Over the years I have tried all the medications with very little relief and several severe allergic reactions. The only relief started 5 years ago with the drug Imuran. It is the first time in my life I have been in remission. To me it is a miracle. I can eat and drink anything and have gained weight.

Comment from: jackie beard, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have not had the surgery for ulcerative colitis yet, but they are wanting to remove my large intestine and put me on a colostomy bag. I have almost bled to death 3 times and I'm really sick of being in the hospital.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed when I was 26 years old. I took sulfasalazine for 25 years ,along with retention steroid enemas. That worked as long as I was on the meds. Now I am 63 and I am not on any meds because I have developed sensitivity to everything except, prednisone. So when I have flare-ups that is all that will help. Now I have to have a colonoscopy every year.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?