Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Comment from: phylray, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been taking (3) VSL#3 capsules each morning it seams to help. When I get a flareup I increase the amount I take to 4.

Comment from: dooscoop, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I am a male 60 y/o and was diagnosed with UC in May 2012. I was put on Lialda and within a month, my symptoms improved tremendously to the point of felt as good as I did before my diagnosis. I went in for another colonoscopy in October 2012 and was told by the doctor that she was surprised that I still had so much inflammation in my colon. She doubled my dosage of Lialda from 2.4 grams to 4.8 grams per day. Shortly after that, my symptoms of UC returned, mostly being frequent loose bowel movements. I had gone from 2 normal stools per day in August to 8-10 loose stools in October.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at the age of 17, took a while to figure out what it was, once they put me on medications, it led to liver failure. Make sure you get blood tests taken when you switch medicines. Now I can't take the majority of the medications they offer. I am now 20 and still frequently in pain. So be careful and get blood tests often when switching!

Comment from: Lauren, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in May but I started suffering with bloody stool, weight loss, fatigue and I just had no interest in anything back in January 2011. At first they put me on steroids and asacol. I was having about the same symptoms nothing was really getting better. I was just finishing college and I was in a job I hated so this is what I did which actually has helped me go into remission. I moved 100 miles away, found a new job, clean the stress from my life. Also, I started exercising a little more and trying to eat better. My medicine was just getting to expensive, since July 2011 I haven't taken any meds and about a month after I have been in remission. Not everyone should stop taking their meds but this has helped me plus trying to live a healthy life.

Comment from: Nina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 14, I am now 45. Over the years I have tried all the medications with very little relief and several severe allergic reactions. The only relief started 5 years ago with the drug Imuran. It is the first time in my life I have been in remission. To me it is a miracle. I can eat and drink anything and have gained weight.

Comment from: Crown5, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at about age 32. I was taking Asacol 400mg, 3 tablets, 2 times a day for about 7 years and it helped somewhat with my symptoms. I was then switched to Asacol HD 800mg, 3 tabs, 2 times a day for the next two years, but still had symptoms of UC. A year ago I tried "The Gerson Therepy" as an alternative to medication. I followed the regimen for about two months. It has been a year and I have had absolutely no symptoms of UC whatsoever. No flare ups, hyper bowels, bloating or cramps. I have even went back to solid stools.

Comment from: kevin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

Hello, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 30. I've had it for 2 years now and been through so many waves of different drugs. Prednisone, which is not a fun drug to be on. You never feel full, always hungry. Break out real bad with acne. Weight gain. I had the enema approach and I was doing that nightly for a while but my UC grew and no longer stopped the bleeding. I'm now on Remicade and it stopped the bleeding. Now I have horrible urgency to run to the bathroom. Waiting now for something else but thinking that I'm probably just have to deal with what I got. Stay away from seafood, anything spicy, dairy. Like a lot of other people on here say try to find a good doctor. Someone who listens to you. Keep your head up and try to eat smart and good luck.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Complications Question: What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?