Patient Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Complications

What complications of ulcerative colitis have you, a friend, or relative experienced?

Comment from: josefa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis) in 1998 after 2 years of tests and antibiotics. I had bloody diarrhea and fatigue. I was put on Salazopyrine up to 2001. My doctor took me off it when I developed auto immune hepatitis in 2001. I have been on Imuran and prednisolone since then. I can't afford to miss a dose as the jaundice flares up even if I am in remission for UC.

Comment from: zelda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I've had ulcerative colitis for 20 years. It got out of control when I quit smoking. I lost 30 pounds and ended up in diapers for eight months. I wanted to have surgery, but insurance wouldn't let me. I went on steroids (a nightmare), Imuran, Rowasa and Remicade. Thankfully, Remicade was my miracle! I was able to get off steroids and did Remicade for about two years. I'm still on Imuran and occasionally use Rowasa. Stress and food triggers my UC. I didn't have side effects from Remicade like I had from steroids.

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms Question: For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diet Question: What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Surgery Question: What type of surgery did you have for ulcerative colitis? What was the outcome?