- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Typhoid Fever - Describe Your Experience
- Patient Comments: Typhoid Fever - Symptoms and Signs
- Typhoid fever facts
- What is typhoid fever? What is the history of typhoid fever?
- How do patients get typhoid fever?
- How do the bacteria cause disease, and how is it diagnosed?
- What are the symptoms of typhoid fever?
- What is the treatment for typhoid fever, and what is the prognosis?
- Can typhoid fever be prevented?
Can typhoid fever be prevented?
For those traveling to high-risk areas, vaccines are now available. The vaccine is usually not recommended in the U.S. There are two forms of the vaccine available an oral and an injectable form. The vaccination needs to be completed at least one week prior to travel and, depending on the type of vaccine, only protects from two to five years. The oral vaccine is contraindicated in patients with depressed immune systems. Details of the vaccination and the chosen vaccine should be discussed with a health-care provider.
Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Typhoid Fever." Oct. 24, 2005. <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/