Patient Comments: Tuberculosis Skin Test - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your tuberculosis infection?

Comment from: RedJaq, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I got a hiatal hernia from heavy lifting. It caused very bad back pain and as it went untreated and undiagnosed for over 6 months it started running into shortness of breath, as walking and breathing and almost everything caused pain. I was crying, angry and at a loss as to what to do. My doctor's office thought I had gotten bitten by a spider because my whole body was beginning to spasm and tremble. Finally a nurse practitioner scheduled me with a gastroenterologist. Simple procedure and mystery solved. Prevacid was prescribed. Honestly that little nurse practitioner saved, my job, my marriage and my sanity! If you lift weights for fun or as part of your job please be aware that this is one of the causes of hiatal hernias and I had no heartburn or acid reflux at all!

Comment from: RottieMom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

About 6 or 7 years ago I was having frequent heavy nosebleeds. I learned quickly that getting all anxious about them were making them worse. But another thing I learned, at least for me, is I had to get the huge clots out of my nose before they would stop. I don't know why, I just know it had to be done. About 5 years ago I finally had sinus surgery to remove the chronic sinus infection. All was good until this past fall when the sinus infections are back and the bleeding has started again. Sinus surgery was the most difficult recovery I have ever had from surgery. I suffered with vertigo, extreme tiredness and depression. And now the thought of having to do that again just makes me depressed.

Comment from: stony, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 10

I am 30 years plus now, and that is vague. Everything is vague. My tinnitus is more a hiss/buzz than a ringing. But sometimes it stops dead. Then this louder high pitch ringing starts for one or two minutes then stops, then back to the buzzing. Words fail to describe the horror show now. It outdoes the TV and even my Harley on the open road in top gear with pretty loud custom pipes. Hard to believe I know! It is overwhelming and a bit depressing at times so I try to register my good fortune in most other facets of this weird one way trip. It does help. However on reading other posts here, mine does not impose on sleep. Thank goodness. And, now I just love sleeping, but once awake, pandemonium again!

Comment from: Joey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I have pancreatic cancer. I have the itching also. I found help for the itching by going to a dermatologist. He gave me a prescription for a cream and also pills.

Comment from: just curious, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

I would like to know if it's ok for health care workers to use an insulin syringe to give a PPD injection to an adult. We don't have tuberculin syringes where I work. And I was told tuberculin syringes were unavailable at my place of work, but I know other facilities have them.

TB Skin Test - Side Effects Question: Please describe any side effects that you experienced from a TB skin test.