Patient Comments: Trigger Point Injection - Side Effects

What side effects did you experience with your trigger point injection?

Comment from: Tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I get trigger point injections in my back, after an injury and surgery. My doctor uses an ultrasound to best find the points to inject. I receive about 12 injections per visit alternating between upper and lower back. I receive a shot of Toradol after, which helps with the pain the following day (without that it feels like I was beat up). One plus day of pain for 2 to 3 weeks of extremely diminished pain is so worth it! Just wish I could get my whole back done since the area not done feels even more painful against the contrasted pain free area.

Comment from: EB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a trigger point injection in my neck, became dizzy, fainted and had transient global amnesia for several hours, and woke up in emergency. Don't get it in your neck.

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had trigger point injections using Botox into the muscles on my left shoulder. The pain afterwards was pretty mean. I felt as if the muscles were "mad", for about two weeks. Afterwards, the knotted feeling and the muscle cramps were nearly gone.

Comment from: Pam, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have extreme pain for two days after the trigger point injections. Then the pain is relieved for months. This is why I wait until I can"t stand the daily pain until I go in to treatment because I am even worse for two days. I feel like I"ve been in a car accident.

Comment from: apageor2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was in a car accident which gave me severe back damage. Every time I obtain the trigger point injection (TPI) I will wait for 24 hours, then the following day I will start stretching to slowly let the medication flow more easily. This process works for my situation and I wanted to share as it may work for another person who is injured and obtaining this same treatment.

Comment from: Tap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I used to get trigger shots 4 to 5 times a year, now I have been getting them every 3 weeks the last 4 months due to my lupus and fibromyalgia. I'm a hair stylist, my arms are up all day, and I have a lot of added pain in the shoulders, armpit, and neck. I have lost a lot of my hair from my auto immune problems, plus I also have thyroid. But since February I've been taking these new vitamins that has been growing my hair back unbelievably, now my hair is brittle and falling out again, I wonder if it can be from the trigger shots. I'd rather be in pain then lose any more hair.

Comment from: neecy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had fibromyalgia for at least the last ten years. I have had horrible pain in the neck and upper shoulders/traps. Finally I went to a pain management doctor who gave me 14 trigger point injections in those areas. It's like a miracle has occurred! The pain is gone. I am astounded and wonder why none of the health professionals I've seen in the last decade ever suggested it. I hope the pain will stay away for a while... I will go back in 6 weeks for the first follow up.

Trigger Point Injection - Frequency Question: How frequently do you receive trigger point injections?