Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?

Comment from: Marty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I ignored my trigger finger too long. Injections gave temporary relief. I have just had surgery on both thumbs and long fingers. I wish I had not waited so long to treat.

Comment from: unknown, Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am almost 13 years old and have trigger thumb. I don't have a secondary condition (diabetes, arthritis, etc.) I got a steroid shot for it and that didn't work so now I am getting surgery in a couple of weeks and being put under anesthesia. The doctor doesn't know how I got it and thinks it is very weird because I'm so young and don't have any other issues.

Comment from: zander, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had trigger finger twice in the same finger, I had 1 steroid injection under ultrasound. Now I have to go back to have another, 8 weeks later. It is beginning to get old fast, the finger no longer works. Better off losing the finger, than going on steroid injections all the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I actually pointed out my snapping trigger fingers to my chiropractor. He is a chiropractic hand and foot association member and explained his training and aspect of its etiology and treated it without surgery or injections and while it took a few treatments to fix it, it hasn't returned and it has been over a year since my visits to his office.

Comment from: Jdb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

According to one specialist I have stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger), I"m not 100% convinced. I carry frequently during my work day, weight that can stretch my thumb and pointer fingers, which usually doesn"t cause any pain, until recently. The pain has been at times intense of late. I have had one cortisone injection into the thumb/wrist area and it worked a treat. However I don"t know that this is going to work for long, it"s been three weeks and I am still sensitive in the tendon area. The doctor said it"s not work related.

Comment from: barkingmad3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

First trigger thumb incident was at 45 after carpal tunnel surgery. Now, both thumbs and two more fingers are affected. Injections worked for a while, by 2nd injection surgery and release is the only relief. Repetitive use generally starts the problem, like intense, prolonged keyboard use or carrying heavy items with the gripping of fingers. Injections hurt something awful for 6 seconds, I do mean hurt.

Comment from: lilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have trigger finger in four fingers of the right hand and carpal tunnel syndrome in the elbow of the same hand. My surgery is on 26 February. The doctor said that I will not be able to work one month but I am afraid that will be more than one month, especially because I do a very difficult job using my right hand.

Comment from: Really hurts, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have trigger finger in my right thumb and it is very painful. I'm seeing a doctor and I was put on medicines and a brace. He is talking surgery and I have to go see an orthopedic surgeon to see what he wants to do. I want the pain to go away.

Trigger Finger - Symptoms Question: What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.