Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?

Comment from: unknown, Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am almost 13 years old and have trigger thumb. I don't have a secondary condition (diabetes, arthritis, etc.) I got a steroid shot for it and that didn't work so now I am getting surgery in a couple of weeks and being put under anesthesia. The doctor doesn't know how I got it and thinks it is very weird because I'm so young and don't have any other issues.

Comment from: zander, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had trigger finger twice in the same finger, I had 1 steroid injection under ultrasound. Now I have to go back to have another, 8 weeks later. It is beginning to get old fast, the finger no longer works. Better off losing the finger, than going on steroid injections all the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I actually pointed out my snapping trigger fingers to my chiropractor. He is a chiropractic hand and foot association member and explained his training and aspect of its etiology and treated it without surgery or injections and while it took a few treatments to fix it, it hasn't returned and it has been over a year since my visits to his office.

Comment from: Jdb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

According to one specialist I have stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger), I"m not 100% convinced. I carry frequently during my work day, weight that can stretch my thumb and pointer fingers, which usually doesn"t cause any pain, until recently. The pain has been at times intense of late. I have had one cortisone injection into the thumb/wrist area and it worked a treat. However I don"t know that this is going to work for long, it"s been three weeks and I am still sensitive in the tendon area. The doctor said it"s not work related.

Comment from: AAA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had symptoms typical of trigger finger. Having discussed with the surgeon I opted for injection therapy. This was carried out with good effect. I had good relief of symptoms for upward of five months and now the symptoms have recurred. Now I'm thinking of going for the permanent surgical treatment.

Comment from: sahara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I just found out that I have trigger finger. When I wake up in the morning my middle finger on my right hand is bent and I have to force it open and it is painful! My doctor said it looks like both my hands are not looking well and it will eventually spread. I'm going for an x-ray and then maybe will have surgery. I don't want this effecting my work.

Comment from: debbie9339, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had the cortisone shot before in my wrist for something else and the pain of the shot was more than I could handle. I will have to suffer with the trigger finger and hope it goes away on its own eventually. My worst time is in the morning, my middle finger is locked and bent and I make my coffee and decide later when I can handle the pain of stretching it back out. I fell on my hand in December and I am pretty sure that's when I damaged my finger.

Comment from: normaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have the same problem with trigger fingers and have had to have surgery to fix all my fingers. But even with the surgery the pain is still there sometimes, but hey at least I can now use my hands properly.

Trigger Finger - Symptoms Question: What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.