Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?

Comment from: Marty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I ignored my trigger finger too long. Injections gave temporary relief. I have just had surgery on both thumbs and long fingers. I wish I had not waited so long to treat.

Comment from: unknown, Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am almost 13 years old and have trigger thumb. I don't have a secondary condition (diabetes, arthritis, etc.) I got a steroid shot for it and that didn't work so now I am getting surgery in a couple of weeks and being put under anesthesia. The doctor doesn't know how I got it and thinks it is very weird because I'm so young and don't have any other issues.

Comment from: zander, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had trigger finger twice in the same finger, I had 1 steroid injection under ultrasound. Now I have to go back to have another, 8 weeks later. It is beginning to get old fast, the finger no longer works. Better off losing the finger, than going on steroid injections all the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I actually pointed out my snapping trigger fingers to my chiropractor. He is a chiropractic hand and foot association member and explained his training and aspect of its etiology and treated it without surgery or injections and while it took a few treatments to fix it, it hasn't returned and it has been over a year since my visits to his office.

Comment from: Jdb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

According to one specialist I have stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger), I"m not 100% convinced. I carry frequently during my work day, weight that can stretch my thumb and pointer fingers, which usually doesn"t cause any pain, until recently. The pain has been at times intense of late. I have had one cortisone injection into the thumb/wrist area and it worked a treat. However I don"t know that this is going to work for long, it"s been three weeks and I am still sensitive in the tendon area. The doctor said it"s not work related.

Comment from: sahara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I just found out that I have trigger finger. When I wake up in the morning my middle finger on my right hand is bent and I have to force it open and it is painful! My doctor said it looks like both my hands are not looking well and it will eventually spread. I'm going for an x-ray and then maybe will have surgery. I don't want this effecting my work.

Comment from: AAA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had symptoms typical of trigger finger. Having discussed with the surgeon I opted for injection therapy. This was carried out with good effect. I had good relief of symptoms for upward of five months and now the symptoms have recurred. Now I'm thinking of going for the permanent surgical treatment.

Comment from: normaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have the same problem with trigger fingers and have had to have surgery to fix all my fingers. But even with the surgery the pain is still there sometimes, but hey at least I can now use my hands properly.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had trigger thumbs about 15 years ago. When I would bend my thumbs they looked like they were disjointed but didn't hurt. I showed them to an orthopedic surgeon who had just done carpal tunnel surgery on both of my wrists several months apart. He said I had trigger fingers and he could fix that. I told him it didn't hurt so I would take a pass. Several weeks later, I was having terrible pain, couldn't start my car or turn the knob on the washing machine. I found out how much we use our thumbs. I got an appointment and had surgery in about a week. I was back to do everything the next day! Now, I started having scapular pain over my left shoulder blade. I have really bad shoulders. Then I had muscle spasms in my arm muscles. The pain was so bad, I called all my neighbors and asked if they had any pain pills. My second neighbor was alarmed because I sounded like I was in so much pain so she took me to the emergency room (ER). They gave me some pain pills, but they didn't touch the pain. At the same time I started having tingling down my entire arm but no numbness. They ruled out cervical disk problems and cardiac problems. The arm pain has gone away and now I have terrible pain in my middle and ring fingers and terrible pain in my hand. I am allergic to cortisone injections. When I had my last shoulder surgery the doctor said my next surgery would be a shoulder replacement. Up to 70 % of the cartilage is gone from my shoulder. So I don't know if everything is from my shoulder or if I have trigger fingers in addition to the shoulder deteriorating. I would sure like to get this over with and get better. I've had problems with these fingers before but pain hadn't been this bad. My husband has problems with his fingers too. I'm small boned and use my hands a lot so I wonder if that is a risk factor. My husband is also small boned for a man. I have a wedding cake to decorate for my daughter in 2 months. I need to be better by then!

Trigger Finger - Symptoms Question: What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.