Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?

Comment from: AAA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had symptoms typical of trigger finger. Having discussed with the surgeon I opted for injection therapy. This was carried out with good effect. I had good relief of symptoms for upward of five months and now the symptoms have recurred. Now I'm thinking of going for the permanent surgical treatment.

Comment from: normaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have the same problem with trigger fingers and have had to have surgery to fix all my fingers. But even with the surgery the pain is still there sometimes, but hey at least I can now use my hands properly.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had trigger thumbs about 15 years ago. When I would bend my thumbs they looked like they were disjointed but didn't hurt. I showed them to an orthopedic surgeon who had just done carpal tunnel surgery on both of my wrists several months apart. He said I had trigger fingers and he could fix that. I told him it didn't hurt so I would take a pass. Several weeks later, I was having terrible pain, couldn't start my car or turn the knob on the washing machine. I found out how much we use our thumbs. I got an appointment and had surgery in about a week. I was back to do everything the next day! Now, I started having scapular pain over my left shoulder blade. I have really bad shoulders. Then I had muscle spasms in my arm muscles. The pain was so bad, I called all my neighbors and asked if they had any pain pills. My second neighbor was alarmed because I sounded like I was in so much pain so she took me to the emergency room (ER). They gave me some pain pills, but they didn't touch the pain. At the same time I started having tingling down my entire arm but no numbness. They ruled out cervical disk problems and cardiac problems. The arm pain has gone away and now I have terrible pain in my middle and ring fingers and terrible pain in my hand. I am allergic to cortisone injections. When I had my last shoulder surgery the doctor said my next surgery would be a shoulder replacement. Up to 70 % of the cartilage is gone from my shoulder. So I don't know if everything is from my shoulder or if I have trigger fingers in addition to the shoulder deteriorating. I would sure like to get this over with and get better. I've had problems with these fingers before but pain hadn't been this bad. My husband has problems with his fingers too. I'm small boned and use my hands a lot so I wonder if that is a risk factor. My husband is also small boned for a man. I have a wedding cake to decorate for my daughter in 2 months. I need to be better by then!

Comment from: hoppers59, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have rheumatoid arthritis and now suffer with trigger fingers. I have had 2 injections in 1 finger, 1st only worked 6 weeks. Second definitely brought down the swelling, reducing some pain. I am unsure of lasting result. Finger is still clamping closed if I close my fist. Just received 1st infection in thumb again, reduced pain yet the thumb is clicking/sticking with movement of the joint. I am having a 3rd finger with the beginning of trigger finger. Seems to be a pattern and now I am told surgery is in the future.

Comment from: debbie9339, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had the cortisone shot before in my wrist for something else and the pain of the shot was more than I could handle. I will have to suffer with the trigger finger and hope it goes away on its own eventually. My worst time is in the morning, my middle finger is locked and bent and I make my coffee and decide later when I can handle the pain of stretching it back out. I fell on my hand in December and I am pretty sure that's when I damaged my finger.

Comment from: Lina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My diagnosed trigger finger started very early in the mornings. I would feel pain when trying to open and close my hands. I would also feel a feeling as if my hand was asleep. The pain and numbness would jump from hand to hand. One of my fingers locked and I had it, so I went to my doctor and was given a shot. This was a week ago, now my pinkies are snapping and my hands still feel the pain; especially in the mornings, and I have no strength.

Comment from: itsMe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had two surgeries, my left and right thumb, trying to see if it will reoccur. The second surgery doesn't seem like it is too good, but it's only been two weeks.

Trigger Finger - Symptoms Question: What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.